2-row / pilsner malt substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appraiserdude

Reaction score
Has anyone ever substituted pilsner malt for 2-row? I've got about 40# of pilsner and was thinking of making the switch for an oatmeal stout. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone describe what flavor difference you'd get using pilsner instead of 2-row? I was thinking of using pilsner instead of MO for a future brew, though more out of a desire to experiment than out of any sense of what that change would actually achieve...

I'd like to know the answer as well^

I've been thinking of getting pils malt instead of UK Pale as it seems a little more versitile. Is there really that much of a difference between the malts when they're not being used in base-only brews?

Pale malt is slighly more toasty than pilsner malt. If you can, keep both on hand and use pilsner in lagers and pale for ales. But substituting pilsner for pale should work. I have done it, but are now holding off brewing american styles until I also have a bag of pale malt. European Pilsner has become rather expensive.

Kai

Latest posts

Back