Parpazian - Love Hate Relationship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSlinger

Reaction score
Hi,

I have forgotten allot of what I asked before so I need your help. I’ve had a bit of a love hate relationship with my Parisian book because he tells you why it happens but not how to do it. Plus that I have had a stroke so I have been out of the game for awhile and I'm trying to get back into it.

So I need to ask:

If the recipe Is in LME how much DME do you use?

Is The Temp for sparging 170 degrees?

Is The Temp for Mashing 130 degrees?

Do you know of anyone cheaper then http://www.thegrape.net?

What is the ratio for plugs, pellets & flowers?

What is the fermentation rate for ale (70?) and lager(30?)?

Now the recipes on page 154, how do you know which ones to mash and sparge?

Its surprising how much you can forget over a year...

BeerSlinger said:
Its surprising how much you can forget over a year...

Try 7 years! Wow, how the Internet has changed homebrewing...For the better!

Here's a good pictorial that can get you started in the right direction. Searching this forum for answers to questions already posted will provide loads of info.

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/

Welcome back to the fold!

BeerSlinger said:
Hi,

I have forgotten allot of what I asked before so I need your help. I’ve had a bit of a love hate relationship with my Parisian book because he tells you why it happens but not how to do it. Plus that I have had a stroke so I have been out of the game for awhile and I'm trying to get back into it.

parpazian? parisian? whew. Papazian? Yeah, I know what you mean. He gives very specific instructions that don't tell you why, and so if you need to adjust the recipes, it's not very easy.

So I need to ask:

If the recipe Is in LME how much DME do you use?

70%
Is The Temp for sparging 170 degrees?

Yes---that should be the temp of the sparge water itself.

Is The Temp for Mashing 130 degrees?

if you're doing a stepped mash, then the protein rest should be 133f for 30 mins, then 149-155f for 45 mins. If you're doing single infusion, it should be 149-155f for 60 minutes. Generally speaking.
Do you know of anyone cheaper then http://www.thegrape.net?

Never used them. Try austin homebrew, listermann, midwest, northern brewer, homebrew heaven, morebeer, etc.

What is the ratio for plugs, pellets & flowers?

You need to buy ProMash or Beersmith. Do yourself a favor.

What is the fermentation rate for ale (70?) and lager(30?)?

Rate? What do you mean fermentation rate? Do you mean temp? Fermentation temps differ depending on the yeast. For ales, it's usually between 60 and 80, lagers between 50 and 65, roughly speaking. Check the range for that yeast. Once fermentation is complete, lagers then need to age at lower temps (high to mid 30's or into the 40's) for a few months.

Now the recipes on page 154, how do you know which ones to mash and sparge?

I don't have the book in front of me, but...there are three recipe sections, all of which are separate. The first section is all extract brews with steeped grains. You don't mash those. The second section is partial mash---you do mash the grains in those. The last section is all-grain, and again, you mash those.

BeerSlinger said:
thegrape.net is the cheapest i've seen

Don't forget that with Austin Homebrew shipping is a flat $5.99 and with MoreBeer shipping is free with orders above $60. Getting new equipment or grain can really end up costing a lot at some of the other shops once you factor that in.

Back