Brew Fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
So my 8th batch is a complete fail. Tasted after 10 days in the bottle and it's got an odd smell and taste that I'm really not sure how to describe. Its a low abv recipe that finished at 2.4% ABV so guessing that made it hard to combat any nasties. Here's what happened.

Pitched Windsor yeast and aerated well
saw immediate bubbling the. Abruptly quit
Panicked and pitched Munson Gold yeast
Saw no bubbling
Let it go 3 weeks then bottled
Tasted fine at bottling
10 days later it's nasty. Must have had rogue nasties that survived in my bottling bucket.

Guessing I'll need to pour out all this beer. :(

2.4%!?!?! What was your FG on that thing?
Also, Did you pitch the yeast then aerate?
Thats backwards, you should be aerating before pitching.

Alright, I'm gonna eat some crow here. As long as you're aerating immediately after pitching and not after fermentation starts your process is fine. Sorry for the confusion.

Only 10 days in the bottle? I'd give it about a week or so yet and then see where you are at. If you are confident in your sanitation, infection shouldn't be an issue.

OG 1036 and FG 1018. 2.39%
I'll give it some time before I make any drastic, pour down the drain decisions.

jtakacs said:
that's horrible attenuation... 50% by my calcs... did you scortch the mash?

No mash. All extract brew. I'm not sure what happened?

Forgot to mention I bottled with light brown sugar with this batch. I've never used BS before and have been told it adds complexity, but could thus be what I'm tasting?

Possibly?

Brown sugar is really just white sugar with a little bit of molasses added to it. The yeast consumer the sugar and the molasses residuals are left behind which would likely add a bit of flavor. Considering you've got a super small beer @ 2.4% maybe those flavors are accentuated. Young beer often goes through some phases that taste funny. I'd say keep riding it out for a bit and see what happens.

Back