Starter time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
I want to brew on Monday, if I make a tarter today is that enough time for the starter to ferment properly. I will be using a stir plate, and this will be my first starter. I will be making a 1L starter for a robust Porter.

Slainte

greenhaze said:
I want to brew on Monday, if I make a tarter today is that enough time for the starter to ferment properly. I will be using a stir plate, and this will be my first starter. I will be making a 1L starter for a robust Porter.

Slainte

Yes that will be plenty of time. Get your yeast starter spinning today if you can have it spinf for 24 hours you will most likely have more than enough healthy yeast for a moderate gravity 5 gallon batch. Give it 24 hours on the plate and then put it in your fridge for another 24. Take it out 1-2 hours before you pitch to let it get to the same temp as your wort, decant off the starter wort leaving just enough to swirl and get the yeast back into suspension then pitch!

Whats your OG supposed to be?

OG 1.052. Checked Mr Malty. 1L
Thanks for the info.
Right now waiting for brew store to open to get my light DME, then home to make starter.
Slainte

Brew supply had no light DME had to get dark briess. Will that make a difference to the porter flavor ?
Slainte

greenhaze said:
Brew supply had no light DME had to get dark briess. Will that make a difference to the porter flavor ?
Slainte

Not really. Like i said put the starter into your fridge and decant almost all of your starter wort. Leave just enough to get the yeast cake back into suspension.

Hermit said:
Dark in a porter? Seems like a natural even if you don't decant.

This is true. Didn't even think of that. Perhaps this was a better choice of dme than the light! :mug:

Good luck let us know how it came out.

Dave37 said:
This is true. Didn't even think of that. Perhaps this was a better choice of dme than the light! :mug:

Good luck let us know how it came out.

Ya don't think I will decant, just pitch everything.
Slainte

If youre not going to decant and pitch it all then yes you can leave it on the stirplate.

Latest posts

Back