Home brewing: And how I learned not to put a pint on a dirty counter and love beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
(possible long post, but it will probably be entertaining. Judge for youself)

So today has been another crazy random day in my homebrewing experience. So.... here we go.....
I teach a high school drumline. Im the percussion director. Got done with practice, got my paycheck and went to my local liquor store that has some home brew stuff. They happened to have quite a bit of hops on hand so, I bought 1oz of cascade pellets, 4oz of centennial, and 5oz of gallena (only because they had 5oz packages of plugs for pretty cheap.) total of 10oz of hops. They have more, so I plan on buying them out. They have Centennial, Galena, Northern Brewer, Fuggles, and a few more for a pretty good price.
While I was at the store I purchased two bombers. One bomber of Barrel House Brewing Co Cumberland Pale Ale, One bomber of Double Bastard and a 4pk of Guiness. I also purchased another carboy. My total price $40.00!!!!!! Also while at the store, I over heard a conversation between a patron and an employee. The patron happened to own a scrap yard and was talking about a bunch of kegs he recieved. I jumped on the conversation and advised him what I would use the keg for (keggle) and he gave me his number and said he would give me one!!!
I will check on this, meaning I will make sure the keg has definately been srcapped, and it will be a legal transaction before I accept his offer. After that, I purchased a turkey fryer for brewing for $30.00 at wal-mart, complete with a 7.5gal pot.
After I made dinner, I made my first batch of Apfelwein! I hope it turns out good. I added a little more than 2lbs of dextrose. Starting gravity was 1.060. I also made a kick ass dinner.
With my dinner (Chicken Arabica) I drank the Cumberland Pale Ale. The evidence of Cascade hops in this brew shot it too the top of my pale ale fav's. After dinner I cracked the Double Bastard. Holy Pineapple aftertaste Batman!!! I don't know where it comes from but all I kept tasting was pineapple. Maybe Im crazy. Very good though. Actually Amazing!!!!
After I was feeling pretty good, I poured a pint of Guiness, and was explaining to my GF about pouring Guiness, and I went to set my pint on the counter. I happened to leave my hydrometer under a napkin, which I deemed a good place for my pint, but gravity had other plans. My beer, and my glass ended up all over the floor.
So to recap.....
got 10oz of hops for $12.00
got a new carboy
tried 2 new great brews
got a turkey fryer (yay, no more stove!!!)
made a batch of Edworts Apfelwein
broke a pint glass, and wasted a pint of Guiness.

But..... I finally realized I had another pint of Guiness in the fridge, and another pint glass in the freezer. Just finished it, and now ready for bed.

sorry for the long post, if you read it cool. if not cool too. If it gets moved to drunken ramblings still cool. If you got the Stanely Kubrik reference in the title even better!!:rockin:

ohiobrewtus said:
This makes my eyes hurt :D

Yea, sorry about that. After a few beers, it always seems that you have so much to say. Oh well, thanks for reading it, hope your eyes feel better.:mug:

Made sense to me. Of course, that's after a deuce of Double Bastard and a pint of apfelwein.
drunk.gif

Back