Good 1st Hand Gose Recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good Gose recipe that they've personally made/tasted and was happy with? I would like one that is soured with acid malt, not bugs.

It stinks, there is a guy in my homebrew club that has me uber addicted to his Gose, but he's a pro brewer and won't divulge his recipe.

PLEASE don't just point me to a recipe, I can search and read, I'm looking for someone who can actually vouch for a recipe.

Thanks for the help!

Brewed both of my goses with bugs, so no recipe for you. I'm not sure you can get the right level of sourness with acid malt alone. You could try making a pseudo- wit (probably without the orange peel), using whatever yeast gave you the character you wanted. A neutral German ale yeast is probably most traditional, but I used Saison yeast, and I see no reason you couldn't use whatever yeast you wanted. Fruity, clovey, clean, whatever. When fermentation is done, just add lactic acid and salt to taste.

I made my Flanders Brown with bugs....WLP 665.

I'm telling you, my pro brew buddy makes the best Gose I've ever tasted and turns it around in 4-5 weeks using acid malt in an open, extended mash to sour. He's told me the basic process and ingredients, he just won't tell me the proportions and timeframes :(

Maybe I just need to make some educated guesses and work on a little trial and error. I could always rock out some 1 gallon batches.

When you say no bugs, are you saying no store-bought bugs, or no bugs at all? I've soured successfully by using what was already on the grain, without having to add anything.

My gose is basically 60/40 Pils/Wheat. Low hopping, I add about a tbsp of salt in the boil. Innoculate with a homemade lacto starter just like my BW, and then after 3 days pitch Kolsch yeast.

Nice and tart.

I just ginned up a recipe (leaning heavily on Mosher's) but souring the wort to pH4.0 using food grade lactic acid rather than sour malt. After a short boil I pitched Belle Saison dry yeast. Tastes great so far, I'll be back when it's in bottles.

That guy sounds like a dick - anyway you can make a gose with acid malt - I made one with 10% and it was quite tart though not crazy sour.
You say you don't want to use bugs, but what about using them in a more controlled (as far as equipment sterilization goes) way by doing a sour mash? Mash the beer with just enough warm water (120-130) to soak the grains and leave them overnight. Then, 24 or so hours later (that should give you a definite sourness) add enough boiling water to hit a sacc temp then after a rest at that sparge normally and boil. The boil will kill any of the lacto that was on your grains.

IMHO you tend to get a better acidity/tartness from using actual lacto b/c you get their byproducts as well as their lactic acid production and that adds a complexity to the acidity and overall flavor of the beer.

I definitely agree with you. I ended up doing a Berlinner Weiss instead of a Gose (I started this thread like 3 months ago, FYI), but I followed an aciduated malt process I found online.

While the beer ended up with a tartness, it is a very thin and fleeting tartness that I am not impressed with at all. I ended up adding a bit of raspberry syrup to the keg to improve the character of the tartness.

Next time, I'll definitely be following the sour mash process!

Hey, Bruce! I saw your introduction on the PUB Guild page. I'm the moderator for that forum board. I am at pretty much all of the PUB Guild activities, but didn't make it to that 3/30 group brew. Anyway, my name's Chris Mc, and you'll meet me sooner than later, I'm sure..

And yes! I was talking about Greg's beer!

You say you don't want to use bugs, but what about using them in a more controlled (as far as equipment sterilization goes) way by doing a sour mash?
Assuming you're using a cooler, wouldn't this infect your mash tun?

Clean your mash tun? And besides, what ever goes into your mash tun gets boiled so... infections happen on the cold side/fermentation side of the process

"Clean your mashtun?" Are we not talking about bacteria?

Obviously your mash is preboil, but I don't like my sour equipment ever touching my non-sour equipment.

Will a plastic cooler mash tun you do a sour mash in be infected with bacteria?

There is bacteria everywhere, and if you want to get technical you are constantly 'infecting' your mash tun every time you use it because lacto is always going to be living on the grain's husks.
Despite what people tell you (they are scared), normal santitation practices will kill all the bugs and brett just as it kills regular yeast, they aren't any harder to kill.

Again, this is pre-fermenataion, so what does it matter if its 'infected'?

I've never had a contamination issue with using lacto/brett and having it carry on to the next batch. The only thing I use equipment wise that is different are the seperate hoses I use to transfer my beer that is bugged.

Perhaps my anal retentive nature is complicating matters too much in this particular case. I've had concern about plastic items which have been designated for bacteria even <i>touching</i> non-bacteria plastic items.

Latest posts

Back