Sealing and storing uncarbed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyDrunk

Reaction score
I have read HUNDREDS of pages, and this question just never seems to come up that much. I think it's just so obvious, that no one has to ask, but I'm that guy. I have a beer that's ready, and a kegerator that's not. Is it ok to rack the beer into the keg (with no sugar), seal it, and store it for a few days to a week? Also, to seal it, I just connect it with 30psi attached, turn the tank off, and unplug it, right? Just seems so ... weird to store beer without carbonation. I guess it's just like it's still in the fermenter, huh?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I really want that carboy available ASAP though, lol. I'd like to brew this afternoon.

Am sure it will be perfectly fine. I've spoken to people who keg and do it all the time.

uncarbonated beer should keep just as long as carbonated beer... the question then is why dont you just throw some priming sugar in there and it will carbonate while it sits?

I've only got about 2 gallons of miller in there, so it'll be gone soon - 2 or 3 days. I want the least possible amount of downtime between getting rid of the high life and getting my beer in there and carbed. I force carb the hell out of my beer and shake it. It's ready as soon as I can get it cold.

i do it all the time. Not sure why, maybe laziness since i only have 1 co2 tank and i'd have to disconnect everything to charge the uncarbed cornies, but at any given time i have 1/2dz kegs sitting around aging. After a couple of months they clean up nicely and develop some pressure from the residual sugars and yeasts.

i do it all the time. Not sure why, maybe laziness since i only have 1 co2 tank and i'd have to disconnect everything to charge the uncarbed cornies, but at any given time i have 1/2dz kegs sitting around aging. After a couple of months they clean up nicely and develop some pressure from the residual sugars and yeasts.

So you DON'T hit them w/ pressure to seal the lid or purge the keg of o2?

Not sure what he does, but yes, you should hit them with pressure and purge the O2 from your keg.

Back