Would like some thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Thoughts on Liquid yeast vs. Dry Yeast? Anyone? Advantages, Disadvantages, etc. Thanks.

I use dry yeast for ease of storage, use, price and am very happy with the final product.

I think you have more options readily available for liquid though. Everyone develops their own preference. There is no right or wrong.

The brew I'm fermenting now is only my 2nd batch,& already I've seen the light! The first batch I pitched dry. I had a real hard time getting it to stay started,let alone get a vigorous ferment. It was more like if I used lager yeast instead of ale. This time,I made a starter,& early the next morning when I got up,krausen up to the lid. Fermenting like it was gettin the firing squad the next day!! Starters for dry yeast are the bomb!:rockin:

Starters for dry yeast are the bomb!:rockin:

If by this you mean you rehydrated the yeast with warm water, then yes that is the preferred way.

If you mean you made a starter with wort, that is a no-no.

I also found dry to be easier, better for my brews.
I do rehydrate with Go-Ferm and pitch with 30mins from that.
really liking the Nottingham at this time for my house yeast

"Go-Ferm Rehydration Nutrient is added to yeast hydration water before your yeast. It provides the proper micronutrients to feed your yeast and allow them to create healthy cells. Very effective in high alcohol situations. Recommended dosage is 1.25 grams per 1 gram of yeast, which should then be mixed with 17 mls of water per one gallon of must. 100 gram size. "

I use dry yeast for IPA, APA, anything hoppy.

I use liquid for Weizen, Belgians, anything that I want the yeast flavor.

For our porter and our stout that we have going now we used Irish Ale liquid yeast...what are your thoughts on that? Especially for Porters and Stouts? The stout that we have in the primary has been sitting for about a week and a half...took the lid off to take a hydrometer reading, got 1.015 and this stuff was fermenting super strong! I mean you could feel the gasses coming off, krausen, or what I believe is krausen, on the top, and burned your eyes if you got too close...needless to say I think our yeast is doing its job heavily!! We are gonna rack it in the next couple of days for 3 weeks...then bottle and age for about 2-3 months...I was just curious to know people's preference and style when it came to yeast...My buddy and I walk into our local supply place and am immediatly overwhelmed with choices of yeast!!

I use dry yeast for IPA, APA, anything hoppy.

I use liquid for Weizen, Belgians, anything that I want the yeast flavor.

Same here.

I prefer to use dry yeast whenever possible so I don't have the extra work of creating yeast starters like I do with liquid yeast.

cfonnes said:
i use dry yeast for ipa, apa, anything hoppy.

I use liquid for weizen, belgians, anything that i want the yeast flavor.

+1

Back