Orange Blossom Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
I've never used honey, but from the posts I've read on here I think I've learned a couple things.
-Honey doesn't leave much flavor or aroma when boiled too long
-Honey can leave the beer dry

For my next batch I'm looking at doing the Innkeeper Extract Kit from Northern Brewers http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/the-innkeeper-limited-edition-extract-kit-1.html

It doesn't have the ingredients listed on the website but what do you think of adding a couple lbs of honey, maybe at the end of the boil? I also considered adding some orange peel and maybe steeping the orange too. Unsure if I want to start messing with this first, or if I should first make a batch then adjust to my taste. Suggestions?

Honey doesn't add a lot of flavor if it's fermented. I think there are some people who - at least claim - that they can tell the difference between beers made with honey, and beers made with simple-sugar instead. I'm not one of them.

If you really want a honey flavor, you need to add the honey AFTER fermentation is done. Doing that, however, risks bottle bombs, because you'll just restart the yeast and, if you don't drink the beer FAST you'll overpressure the bottles.

In my opinion, honey isn't worth the cost unless you're filtering the yeast out and force carbonating. Just my $0.02.

Back