Gallon bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aabrewedxxxx

Reaction score
Yea If I get 5 of them I could bottle in much less time without buying all that expensive equipment used with kegging.

I'll give one jug away and drink 1 each weekend with a few buddies.

My question is, how do I cap it? SHould I use a cork?

What kind of 1 gallon bottles are we talking about? Milk Jugs? PET bottles? 1 Gallon glass jugs?

Anything other than pressure molded PET really wont be able to handle the pressure

Adrian Abascal said:
the 1 gallon glass jugs that burbon is usually in.
Unfortunately, I don't think those are going to cut it. They aren't designed to handle the pressures of carbonation.

Learn to love REAL ale and stop worrying about carbonation. Last time I checked, bourbon isn't carbonated. So, the bottles will not take any pressure.

They are good for fermenting small batches of mead & such.

Adrian Abascal said:
Yea If I get 5 of them I could bottle in much less time without buying all that expensive equipment used with kegging.

I'll give one jug away and drink 1 each weekend with a few buddies.

My question is, how do I cap it? SHould I use a cork?

Adrian,

Go out and buy 2 cases of 1 qrt/liter PETs they are easy for bottling and cleaning is a snap. No scrubing whatsoever. Reuseable too. They are designed for beer.

If you want to go ghetto you can use 2 Liter Soda bottles. If you want it to look Euro-Trash try the green soda bottles. :D This is a cheap, you can try it out with virtually a zero $$ investment other than the soda.

You could also tote them around in milk crates.

I use the brown qrt bottle PETs. Sanitized with One-Step.

Don't go with the jugs! I tried growlers and got big bombs out of them. Glass and hombrew all over your floor is a sad site. Even worse when you cut your self cleaning up the mess...

Back