The cheapest fan controllers (for stir plates)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpo

Reaction score
Can anyone beat this? Free shipping too.

Single controller - $2.49 - DealExtreme: $2.49 12W Variable Speed Controller for PC Cooling Fans

Triple controller - $6.65 - DealExtreme: $6.65 3-Fan Cooling Fan Variable Speed Controller for PC

I have not ordered these items, but I have ordered from this site before. It is a trustworthy site, but it can take a couple weeks for shipping because everything is straight from Hong Kong.

Also, of note, they have very cheap rare earth magnets.

DealExtreme: Rare Earth/RE Magnets (Page 1)

That's $10, after shipping, though. I think I'll just wait the extra week and get 4 of them for the same price....

Just pick up a small potentiometer at Radio Shack for $5 and use a 9 - 12 volt DC wall adapter. ;)

Those controllers are just potentiometers anyway, and cheap ones at that. I would definitely just get one from rat shack for the same price, it will be more beefy anyway.

The RS here in my hometown no longer carry the 3watt 25 ohm rheostat in-store, from what the fat, slovenly, lazy bastard at the counter told me they must be ordered on-line. I had him check all of the other locations here in town, and none of them are carrying them. I dunno how reliable Jabba's information was, but I ended up ordering mine on-line, along with some other stuff, any order over $10 has free shipping.

The RS here in my hometown no longer carry the 3watt 25 ohm rheostat in-store, from what the fat, slovenly, lazy bastard at the counter told me they must be ordered on-line. I had him check all of the other locations here in town, and none of them are carrying them. I dunno how reliable Jabba's information was, but I ended up ordering mine on-line, along with some other stuff, any order over $10 has free shipping.

Just so you know, his twin is in Louisville. I think that they only sell Cell Phones anymore. I've been in there when the Manager has given people just flat wrong information.

Anyone who wants a kit could deal with Welcome to Stir Plates.com - guy seems alright and his work looks good.

fwiw dealextreme is extremely slow to ship items, their prices are cheap but if you are in a hurry its worth it to pay an extra few dollars imho

That looks like a pot that can handle a fans mA load in a plastic box, nothing special by the looks and price of it.
There is a limit on going to cheap as it can bite you in the butt with problems I rather not add to my brew day.

Google; ECROS Technology. This will take a couple days for shipping. Their 1.5 amp output LM317 based adjustable voltage regulator in a complete parts kit. Solder it together, install in a plastic Radio Shack project box and be done.
The higher amp regulator with the larger heat sink goes for $9.95. This regulator plus shipping to the S.F. bay area cost me $15.45. I went wild with my spending on this project. Cheaper kits with only 0.5 amp output for $6.95 vs $9.95. My collection of fans draw 720 mA hence the larger 1.5 amp unit why push the limits and let the smoke out? They have wall-warts 6, 7.5 and 12 volt for $2.95 to $4.95. These power cubes grow everywhere everyone has bunch of them around the house. My stir plate will cost me a voltage regulator and a project box. Curb side 12 volt fans of 720 mA, six free. I can afford to waste some big money on a regulated power supply rated to 20 watts output i'm not wanting to fight stir magnets being tossed inside the flask going cheap with a basic pot speed controller as this fan will smoke the small Radio Shack pots. Already have a 250ml flask in the shop and a friend is giving me a 2,000ml and a 4 or 5,000ml flask also free. All he wants is some homebrew a fair trade in my book.

Just so you know, his twin is in Louisville. I think that they only sell Cell Phones anymore. I've been in there when the Manager has given people just flat wrong information.

Anyone who wants a kit could deal with Welcome to Stir Plates.com - guy seems alright and his work looks good.

I don't know if this guy is alright or not.... But I try to do good work! lol...

(FWIW I just upgraded my account to Vendor status so I don't have to feel like a free-loader posting picts of my products)

Here's a pict of what you get in my kit:

StirplateSpeedControl.jpg

Not shown but also included is a wall wort power supply that the circuit is tuned to. The high end is adjustable from 9-16VDC. It's $14.95 which is more than the $3 item the OP put up, but as you can see there's a lot to it.

If you don't want to mess around with building your own, I also sell them complete with a stir bar.

Thanks,

They are voltage regulators, not just potentiometers. 5-12 V range, up to 1 amp. These exact units are commonly bundled with processor fans and such.

Anyway, for anyone that cares, I ordered 3 and got them in the mail yesterday, so that was 11 days for shipping. I cracked one open and the IC even has a heatsink on it, so that was a pleasant surprise. They seem decent enough.

The only thing that sucks is that the knob contacts the pot via a plastic phillips type axle that sticks out from the inside of the knob and fits into the pot and the housing is holding them together. So, it would be difficult to remove the housing and still be able to use it because you'd have to fabricate some sort knob shaft that sticks in there stays in place. I suppose you could glue it or something, but these parts are pretty tiny and it would not be very strong.

I swapped out my existing voltage reg circuit for this one and it is working fine so far. The stir plate has been going for about 20 hours at ~9 volts on a 1 amp supply. I'd like to try it at 12 V, but I can't go that fast without throwing my stir bar.

Back