Jamil's Whirlpool method - moving wort to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutaholic

Reaction score
I just read about Jamil's Whirlpool Chiller method, thanks to a recent post on this forum, and it sounds great. I was wondering, though, what the best way of transferring wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter would be if you are using a whirlpool method to separate the wort from the trub. My kettle has a spigot with a bazooka filter, and so it basically draws from the entire bottom of the kettle. If you are using the whirlpool method, I would assume that you would have to siphon from the side of the kettle, instead of using a gravity feed through a spigot. Is that correct?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get clearer wort out of the boil kettle than by using a relatively coarse filter such as a bazooka screen or false bottom?

You will need to get the wort from the outsides of the kettle, by whirlpooling you should get a clearer wort as long as you have a good cold break.

I think this article by Kaiser illustrates whirlpooling very well.

If you want to whirlpool, you will likely have to take out the bazooka screen and fabricate a side pick up tube.

Otherwise you could use a settling tank to separate clear wort. I am considering this option for my lagers....

Back