Mash Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm brewing two beers this weekend.

One is a "Lawnmower Lager" that is intended to be a lighter, easy drinking, dryer beer.

The other is an IPA.

What mash temps would you recommend for each?

Thanks!

I would mash the lager at 149-150 for 60 to 90 mins.......the IPA 153-154 for 60 min. ....that should work for you.

These two styles have some similarities. Got me thinking you could save time with a parti-gyle type mash. Start with a large grain bill for the IPA. Mash around 153 for 30-45 minutes and take runnings for the IPA. Add some rice or corn to the mash and go for another hour @ 149 before lautering your lager wort.

OK. It’s early for a Saturday morning and I’m waiting for the coffee to brew. Is there any logic to this?

There is logic to that, but different grain bills have already been measured and mixed.

I've got two mash tuns and two boil kettles and two pots for heating water in, so doing them concurrently won't be a big issue, though I'll probably start the second one a little after the first.

Hey, what should I look for for boil volumes? The Lager will be 11 gallons in the fermenter and the IPA 12.

Back