Fruit Beer Wild Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this a few weeks ago. It came out VERY VERY pale. Hardily a tint of yellow but was cloudy. I racked it onto the strawberries regardless. I just racked it Into a 3rd and its still very pale. Slightly darker but still really pale. Any pictures of what u finish with? It's cold crashing right now, and I'm bottling in a few days. I think the picture worked, but that's what I had before I racked onto strawberries

IMG_20160214_124014616_HDR.jpg

Well that is interesting. Never seen a beer that color before. Scroll up a few posts and you'll see a pic of my last batch. I'm not sure what to tell you about that color. How does it taste? Did you reach an acceptable FG. What was the OG? If it fermented out, I would rack onto berries.

Og-1.050, fg-1.014. It fermented 3 weeks in primary. That was the day I racked it onto strawberries, so it got a little more pale. Tasted ok, a little bitter. I even showed this to my local brew shop that I ask all my questions and get all my ingredients. They said to rack it and wait and see how it comes out of the cold crash.

Hey everyone, my cousin is getting married soon and wanted to brew a version of this for his upcoming wedding. Here is our slightly altered version of this (he wanted to add a lemon/citrus element to this, so we changed from Saaz to Sorachi Ace). As you can see, I'm not changing much, just wanted to know if any of these changes would have a negative effect on the outcome.

Grain:
7 lbs - Pilsner malt
1.25 lbs - Wheat malt
1 lb Flaked Corn
1 lb Carapils
4 oz Crystal 40
Rice Hulls

Hops:
1 oz Cascade - 60 mins
0.5 oz Sorachi Ace - 10 mins
0.5 oz Sorachi Ace - 5 mins
0.5 oz Sorachi Ace - Flameout

Yeast:
US - 05

Wanting to mash at 154 F.
Rack onto strawberries @ secondary.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for posting this recipe! I wanted to give this a shot for my mother in law's birthday...and I happen to be a strawberry blonde myself. I made a few modifications based on what I had available:

8 lb 2-row pale malt
1 lb white wheat malt
1 lb 10L caramel malt
1 lb flaked corn

1 oz Cascade (60 min)
1 oz Spalter Select (20 min)
1 oz Spalter Select (15 min)

I replaced the carapils with the 10L for a little added color. I increased the Spalter Select from 0.5 oz each addition since they were from 2012. This may have been a mistake b/c the wort was more bitter than I anticipated. Hopefully, the sweetness of the beer will counter balance.

Another mistake was that I mashed lower than I wanted (~148) and didn't stir enough. OG came in at 1.032 so I ended up boiling longer, end result was an OG of 1.044. I'm guessing the strawberries will add about 4 additional points.

For the expected OG of 1.051, are you accounting for fermentation after adding the strawberries or just the original wort?

Also, has anyone tried a campden tablet bath for sanitizing fresh strawberries?

I am going to try this recipe out with two different versions as it looks awesome.

The first attempt will be:
7lb German Pilsen Malt
1.25lb German Wheat Malt
1lb Carapils
1lb Flaked Corn
Harvested US-05 Yeast
8lb Strawberries

The second:
7lb 2-Row
1.25lb White Wheat Malt
1lb Carapils
1lb Flaked Corn
US-05 Yeast
8lb Strawberries

I am going to use the same fermentation and 154 mash temp using BIAB. The main reason for the two different recipes is I have more of the second recipe on hand and it's usually easier to buy. I will report back when I keg! Thanks for posting!

I just racked over strawberries two days ago; the blonde ale finished off at 1.005. I filled up the bucket to just about the lip and thought i could get away with just an airlock.

Big mistake! Fermentation kicked off again and spewed pink goop all over the closet. I only noticed after my dog got in the closest and started licking it all up.

After cleaning up and sanitizing, I added a blow off tube. On the plus side, the closet smells delicious!

I just racked over strawberries two days ago; the blonde ale finished off at 1.005. I filled up the bucket to just about the lip and thought i could get away with just an airlock.

Big mistake! Fermentation kicked off again and spewed pink goop all over the closet. I only noticed after my dog got in the closest and started licking it all up.

After cleaning up and sanitizing, I added a blow off tube. On the plus side, the closet smells delicious!

Racking to strawberries now. I will be using a blowoff tube after that comment!

Found a couple bottles of this left over from last years Longshot Comp. Looking forward to seeing how they held up. I never bottle beer anymore so this could be interesting. I think i carbed with the carb drops.

Here is the sample I took after racking to tertiary. Great strawberry aroma and flavor! I still think it is a little more bitter than I wanted due to trying to compensate for older hops, but not enough to detract from the beer too much.

2016-06-20.jpg

I picked up red raspberries, black raspberries, and blackberries now I'm wondering how blueberries would be!!

I think I'm gonna use the 1/2 flat (6 quarts) of regular (red) raspberries. Then I can do other cool things with the others. I'm thinking about an black berry IPA gonna call it a BlackeyePA

If I use a conical fermentor, wouldn't I just open the sump valve and dump the trub after 12 days of primary fermentation and then dump the trub again after an additional 7 days with the strawberries? I assume I can do this instead of transferring the beer.

Also, do I need to do a yeast starter with the US-05 for this recipe? Beersmith indicates I would have 180 billion yeast cells and I need 186 billion. Usually I use liquid yeast (not dry yeast) and a Stirstarter and I end up with way more yeast cells than Beersmith says I need. I'm not used to cutting it this close.

If I use a conical fermentor, wouldn't I just open the sump valve and dump the trub after 12 days of primary fermentation and then dump the trub again after an additional 7 days with the strawberries? I assume I can do this instead of transferring the beer.

Also, do I need to do a yeast starter with the US-05 for this recipe? Beersmith indicates I would have 180 billion yeast cells and I need 186 billion. Usually I use liquid yeast (not dry yeast) and a Stirstarter and I end up with way more yeast cells than Beersmith says I need. I'm not used to cutting it this close.

Rehydrate the yeast as per the instructions, use regular water, not wort.

I've never used a conical fermenter, so I'm not 100% sure how to answer your question. Personally, I would rack it to secondary, as part of the reason for the transfer is to help clear it up. But if you can get rid of enough trub to clear it, then I say go for it. However, you will definitely want to transfer to tertiary. Don't leave the beer on the berries for cold crashing.

No starter needed with S-05. I will also add that I never rehydrate. I just open and pour and shake like hell!

Dumping the trub should clear it enough. Good point about transferring before cold crashing. I'll definitely do that.

Strong_Brews, I love my Blichmann conical fermenter because it's super easy to do secondary fermentation, clean, and rack. But they are expensive so I wouldn't go as far as to say they are definitely worth the $$. I just decided to treat myself :)

WildGingerBrewing, you might want to aerate your wort with an O2 canister from Home Depot and a diffusion stone. It's super easy and you'll get happier yeast.

so when adding the frozen fruit, add to secondary when still frozen or let thaw then add?
thanks

I bought some at the farmers market an froze them. When I was ready to use them I put them all in a big bowl and overestimate them in vodka to clean them. Freezing them should kill any bacteria in them... I added vodka just for good measure. Then I put them in the secondary still frozen. They will thaw on their own. No need to let them thaw and expose them to the air.

I am going to brew this soon. I have a bunch of cherries and was thinking of using them instead. Any thought on this?

Cheers :mug:

Back