uncarbed Imp Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
I made an imperial stout 1.090 og notty yeast fermented out to 1.022 added 3/4 cup sugar (corn) and waited 30 days popped one open and was flat waited another month still flat popped all and added 1/10 tsp of us05 to each bottle and recapped 3 weeks later flat any suggestions? I dont want to keep uncapping and risking flavor changes.

ABV exponentially increases carb time. It's not unusual for something like a 1.090 ABV stout to take 2-3 months to carb at room temp.

You may just have to wait this one out.

Topher nailed it. The higher the gravity the longer it takes, especially if you didn't add fresh yeast. I had a 1.090 beer that didn't fully carb and condition for 6 months.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

ABV exponentially increases carb time. It's not unusual for something like a 1.090 ABV stout to take 2-3 months to carb at room temp.

You may just have to wait this one out.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. If you do things correctly, it only takes a week or two to carb up any beer. I have carbed up 10% + ABV beers in less than two weeks many times. You really need to pitch fresh yeast on big beers. Hold them at 70-75F for two weeks and crack one. It will be carbonated.

Topher nailed it. The higher the gravity the longer it takes, especially if you didn't add fresh yeast. I had a 1.090 beer that didn't fully carb and condition for 6 months.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Once again, way to make someone feel like a moron with a blatantly condescending post....

Brewers could take your approach and just sit and wait, and wait, and wait.... Or, they could do things the right way and get better results. To each their own I guess....

+1
I may have to make copies of that for my homebrew club. Also i like how revvy offered advice as opposed to assuming the op did not do things correctly or the right way.

Maybe you missed my first post. Anyone can offer their opinion, but to give someone the correct advice don't you think you should know the whole story before just throwing out a blanket statement?

If you didn't repitch yeast and added dry yeast to a beer at the ABV it probably dies from shock. I usually repitch a starter on my bigger beers and generally have had sucesses carbing. There have been a few that have given me trouble despite doing that but I would just leave it like Reevy says and come back to it in like 6 months.... if after like a year just pour it into a keg and drink it fast!

Everyone seems to be missing one of the most important things- What temp is it sitting at now?

Most people are just throwing it into a room, or a corner of their basement where it might be 55-65F. It will take six months to carb up a big beer at those temps. Getting it up to 75 or so will speed things up greatly.

Maybe you missed my first post. Anyone can offer their opinion, but to give someone the correct advice don't you think you should know the whole story before just throwing out a blanket statement?

if it was horrible advice i would agree with you. Most likely since op didn't repitch before bottling the best thing to do is wait.

Maybe you should start a thread about carbing big beers. I would read it.

if it was horrible advice i would agree with you. Most likely since op didn't repitch before bottling the best thing to do is wait.

Maybe you should start a thread about carbing big beers. I would read it.

Waiting is probably the best course of action now, and also trying to warm them up some if they are on the cool side. Sorry, I just see too many people throwing out blanket statement advice without asking any questions first. I like to probe a little more into the problem before just throwing out a "wait longer" response. If the OP has them sitting in his 60F basement, then just waiting longer is not the best/only thing to do.

I also don't like condescending responses to someone who has a serious question. We don't need to act like that on the forum. Things like that are only funny in the right context. I wouldn't like it if I asked a question and someone drew me a diagram like I was in preschool or something. Why would anyone think that is ok to do to someone else? We are all adults here, let's act like it.

Im in FL so no basement here my house is kept at 75 deg Ill just wait it out some more

Probably all you can do now. Next time it may help to pitch a few grams of rehydrated champagne yeast at bottling time. That, coupled with your 75 degree temps should carb them up in a couple weeks.

ok I opened another one and still nothing I wonder if I should add some sugar and see if it carbs up in a week or get some champange yeast, not sure how much sugar

ya that would be the next step, if you already put sugar in there it's not necessary to put in more.

Its a big beer, so I would bite the bullet and put them in storage to wait it out. It will taste better anyway with some aging time.

Adding sugar now can be a dangerous thing if you really added 3/4 cup of corn sugar at bottling. Would hate for the yeast to take off and get gushers from such a great brew.

he has already waited about 2.5 months and there's no signs of carbing. I have had beers do this and i did repitch with some minor success but sometimes it just didn't help at all. I would agree that putting it away and opening it maybe on new years or something would probably work out well.

My thoughts were to take one bottle and add a small bit of sugar and wait a week and open it and see if the sugar helped, I did put the sugar in for bottling but I tried puting yeast in already now Ill try more sugar just not sure how much. unless someone thinks champagne yeast would work better the the 05 I dont know just want to save this batch

...and someone drew me a diagram like I was in preschool or something.....

It is not preschool, it's called Microsoft Paint or so.

And although illustrative, it gives a good slap in the face too. I saw the original thread that drawing was posted in, and even there it was definitely condescending, although the "freshness" of it could make one chuckle, once.

Now back to the OP's carbonation issue. There is a chance not enough viable yeast is left in those bottles. Maybe a thread on reactivating the beer or yeast before bottling maybe in place?

My thoughts were to take one bottle and add a small bit of sugar and wait a week and open it and see if the sugar helped, I did put the sugar in for bottling but I tried puting yeast in already now Ill try more sugar just not sure how much. unless someone thinks champagne yeast would work better the the 05 I dont know just want to save this batch

I'm no expert on reactivating dormant yeast particularly in relatively high alcohol environments. Given the time it has taken, yeast may get killed off at the same or higher rate than what wakes up.

I wonder if preparing a high gravity starter slurry (stepped up 2-3 times) may work. Notty may not be the right yeast for that beer?

As was mentioned before, just adding yeast will not work, it will go in shock or die off with the alcohol present, and nothing really to eat. I'm sure someone here knows some tricks.

I wonder if preparing a high gravity starter slurry (stepped up 2-3 times) may work.

This had me thinking. I think a guy could make a small starter with some really fresh yeast and then pipette some live fermenting yeast into each bottle. Kind of out there, but I think it could work.

This had me thinking. I think a guy could make a small starter with some really fresh yeast and then pipette some live fermenting yeast into each bottle. Kind of out there, but I think it could work.

Since he has it bottled already, that maybe a very workable solution, as long as he holds to extreme sanitation practices between opening and recapping the bottles. Yeast does best in a familiar environment, so it should be coming from a high gravity wort starter. "Yeast Injected Imperial Stout"?

Maybe a small amount of sugar can added to the injection solution at the same time, depending on how much is in those bottles already? Don't want bottle bombs.

I have made a starter and used a sanitized eye dropper to add about a ml in each 12oz bottle (ml is about half way up the dropper). I did this for two beers and it worked for one and didn't work that well for the other.

if there's already sugar in there and it's no carbed it's still there. You could try your theory in one bottle and see what happens. it would be unfortunate to add the yeast and sugar and have it over carb though.

Latest posts

Back