First Brew - Brooklyn Brewery Everyday IPA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khorn

Reaction score
Hi all - first post here on the forums. I had some questions about my first brew that I started about a week ago. I'm using the 1 gallon IPA kit from Brooklyn Brewery. The first steps went fine - but I had some questions about the fermentation.

First, I've noticed that there's been no off-gassing activity in the airlock. I watched it for about 5 minutes and saw nothing. When I was running the blow off tube there was plenty of CO2 being released but it subsided after two days, when I replaced it with the air lock. I wanted to know if this was OK, or if something is wrong?

Second, there's a noticeable amount of sediment at the bottom of the fermenter. I strained most of the mash through a fine mesh strainer, but had to put a large colander under it because it wasn't big enough, so some sediment got through. I strained it a second time when I transferred the wort to the carboy. I attached a picture below and wanted to know if this was a significant amount of sediment and if it will effect the brew in any way.

Lastly, there's a lot of blackish gunk built up around the top of the carboy from the first few days of fermentation (again, picture attached). Is this normal?

Overall this was a great learning experience and I feel like I did everything correctly - I definitely need to find some more accommodating equipment, like a larger strainer and an electronic thermometer for faster, more accurate temp readings.

I appreciate any help and guidance!

sediment.jpg

gunk.jpg

Ahhh...memories, my first brew was this kit.

Everything is fine...the airlock is not a good indication of fermentation. You will always have hops, yeast and other particles settle on the bottom, its called trub. Finally, the "gunk" on the top is called krausen (well whats left of it). Its a sign that your fermentation is slowing down.

Good luck.

PS- Straining your wort is not necessary but will lead to less trub at the bottom.

Yup everything looks normal. This was my first all grain brew and was delish. Good luck.

I just drank a bottle of Everyday IPA literally a minute ago. I drank some while it was young and it was pretty good, but this one was in bottles for three weeks or so and was excellent. Crystal clear, and hoppy and malty. Even my wife said it was well worth the effort. I'm not boasting; that's just how it turned out. It was my first try at using grain instead of extract.

I noticed what you are noticing. The yeast was very active for a day, then it didn't seem to be doing much for the rest of the two weeks it was in the fermenter. It cleared rather suddenly right at the two week mark. It made lots of "krausen" in the first twelve to twenty-four hours of fermenting, which yours also did, which is why you have that stuff at the top. That stuff is good.

In your pictures, the beer is the right colour and you have the right amount of sediment and gunk at the top. All is going according to plan. Continue to be patient and wait three weeks after bottling and you will have good beer. I like this recipe. It's tasty and it's nice and boozy. I'm feeling pretty good after a bottle of it.

Encouraged to see this feedback - this Sunday is my first brew day and will be done using this kit. Looking forward to it!

Thanks a lot for all of the replies. It's comforting knowing I'm in good shape and on my way to enjoying a tasty homemade brew. I had another quick question about bottling. I know I'm supposed to keep the racking cane about an inch above the trub but should I still use some sort of filter, like a strainer over a funnel when bottling to avoid getting any sediment in my bottles?

Thanks again!
Kyle

Get a muslin bag to cover it from your local brewshop. You can use a paint strainer bag too. I don't use any, I'm just very careful siphoning

Should I trash the beer that is just barely above the trub or is there a practical way to salvage it and avoid siphoning sediment?

Also, I'm approaching my 14th day of fermentation and I'm curious about cold crashing to clarify the beer and get some of the remaining active yeast to settle out. Is it worth experimenting with? It's only a gallon carboy so space is not an issue - it should fit in my fridge no problem.

While it is my first brew and it is primarily a learning experience I would like to try as many beneficial techniques as I can to adapt to future brews.

Thanks,
Kyle

khorn said:
Should I trash the beer that is just barely above the trub or is there a practical way to salvage it and avoid siphoning sediment?

Your best bet is to give your racking cane atleast an inch to a inch and a half of space in between the beer and trub. Never disturb the trub otherwise it will get to your bottles, leaving you with a dirty, yeasty tasting beer. Leave the bottom inch or inch and a half in the fermenter and dump it out with the rest of the trub.

Also, I'm approaching my 14th day of fermentation and I'm curious about cold crashing to clarify the beer and get some of the remaining active yeast to settle out. Is it worth experimenting with? It's only a gallon carboy so space is not an issue - it should fit in my fridge no problem.

While it is my first brew and it is primarily a learning experience I would like to try as many beneficial techniques as I can to adapt to future brews.

Thanks,
Kyle

Start your siphon from the middle of the carboy and keep moving it down as the level of beer drops so that your siphon only ends up near the trub at the very end. Also, if you are moving your carboy to another area to siphon...I like to give it 24 hours to resettle but at least give it a few hours.

This is one of the reasons why I secondary...I can siphon all the way to the bottom with the above method and get some trub but a week later in a secondary, this is a tight ring around the bottom. I even tilt the carboy and get almost all the beer...I probably leave behind 4-6oz total after both transfers.

I cold crash before transfer to the secondary and before I bottle...two days each. The clarity is amazing, but I find the same results without cold crashing and leaving the beers in the fridge for 3+ weeks. Hope this helps

Hi Calichusetts, thanks for all of your insight. Since I'm not using a secondary I think I'll bottle and let it condition for two weeks and then stick the bottles in the fridge for a week to clear up. Or can I bottle and go straight to the fridge? I'm not sure if/how temperature will effect the carbonation process?

Hi Calichusetts, thanks for all of your insight. Since I'm not using a secondary I think I'll bottle and let it condition for two weeks and then stick the bottles in the fridge for a week to clear up. Or can I bottle and go straight to the fridge? I'm not sure if/how temperature will effect the carbonation process?

Condition the beer at around 70 for three weeks, then put them in the fridge...how long before you drink them is up to you. Beer carb very slowly below 70 and not at all when put to cold/fridge temps

Would it be harmful to move to a secondary for a week this late? I'm two weeks into fermentation but I'd like to have a cleaner tasting beer if I can. From what I understand, this will allow the remaining yeast to 'clean up' and fall out of solution? It will also eliminate my chances of siphoning any trub?

Would it be harmful to move to a secondary for a week this late? I'm two weeks into fermentation but I'd like to have a cleaner tasting beer if I can. From what I understand, this will allow the remaining yeast to 'clean up' and fall out of solution? It will also eliminate my chances of siphoning any trub?

You don't need to secondary, I'd give it three weeks in the primary no matter what. I like the secondary because I find it easier to rake into the bottling bucket and have less sediment. I've waited 5 weeks before I've moved to a secondary but beer will clear up in the primary or in a secondary, its really about time and temperature (cold crashing). If you want less chance of getting trub in the bottling bucket, I feel that a secondary is a easy fool-proof way to achieve that. Good luck, let us know how it comes out and how you did

Back