Good Place to Buy Beer in Durango?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Durango, CO for the next day or so. Any recommended beer stores I should hit up before I head back south? I would like to try magic hat, jolly pumpkin, or any other beers I can't get in New Mexico.

I appreciate any input!

Don't waste your time with magic hat. Just my opinion, but the only good beer they have is #9 and I wouldn't say it's superb by any means.

Star Liquors (1485 Florida Rd) has the best selection in Durango. They're a bit out of the way but have a lot of stuff you won't find at other liquor stores around here.
I don't think Magic Hat distributes here, not sure about Jolly Pumpkin.

When you get back try Quarters on the westside. They had a couple of Jolly Pumpkin in the cold room. FWIW I enjoy Magic Hat beers, but I wish we did have a better selection of beers here.

I'll definitely check that out. Quarters on the westside is my default beer store. I haven't been in there in a while though. Thanks for the tip!

Kelly's selection has gotten a lot better over the last 8 months if you don't mind the traffic. Between them both it is our best selections. I've put in requests for 21st Amendment, Magic Hat, and Russian River Brewing Co. No luck yet but I always hope.

Bump! I'm heading to Durango in a week and a half and want to see what the best bottle shop is nowadays. I want to stock up on some Dogfish Head and maybe some Pliny. Where do you Durangoans go for good brew?
thanks!

Star Liquor had Jolly Pumpkin when I was there a few months ago. Also had a nice selection of Deschutes and Lagunitas. Nothing really obscure tho.

For a sit down spot I'd hit Lady Falconburgs on the strip.

I was very impressed with Lady Falconburgs this last summer. They have a lot of taps and pretty good food. I almost always hang out at Steamworks when I'm up there, mainly because I stay about 1/4 mile from where they are located. I've never been disappointed with Steamworks' beer. I'll definitely hit up a couple of the fine micro breweries, but I also want to get some bottles to bring back to NM. If Star is the best place for selection, then I'll hit them up and see what they have that I can't get down here.

Star is def the best shop in town, pliny only goes to those on the call list and they only get it about 3x per year. Liquor World on Rio el camino almost straight west of the Mcdonalds and train station parking lot may have a few interesting things as well. Where do you stay the Rochester? As far as the breweries go, I rank them:Ska, Carvers, Steamworks.....and a very distant fourth Durango Brewing.

I'll be at the Wyndham on E 2nd Ave, right around the corner from the train station. It's a nice location for walking to the breweries. I'll have to hit up Ska to see if they have any small batch stuff on tap. Can't go wrong with Modus Hoperandi!

Back