Unexpected Yeast Smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
So I've cultured a 1099 Whitbread for three "generations" (on the third now). The first two had a fairly pleasant, fruity aroma. But I walked down to the basement this morning, and it smelled like straight fart down there. I went over to check the fermenter, and noticed the smell was emanating from the airlock.

It has undertones of the familiar fruitiness, but the dominating odor is one of sulfur/fart. The notable differences this time around when compared to the first two generations are all grain vs. extract, O2 injection vs. standard agitation, and stir-plate starter vs. shaken starter (in other words, if anything, my methods have improved notably). I used Wyeast yeast nutrient, as I have in the past, so I don't think they're wanting for anything...

Given the above, is it typical for the same yeast strain to be putting off different smells between different batches/conditions?

Maybe you can make a novelty fart beer and sell it at Spencer's.

Heh. ;)

From everything I've read, some degree of sulfur/fart smell is not abnormal at the beginning of fermentation, and even now it seems the odor is dissipating compared to what it was a few hours ago.

The only thing that struck me as odd is the fact that I've used this same strain for two batches prior, and did not get this stink. I guess I can chalk it up to an overhaul of my techniques, as I really did change a lot this time around. Only time will tell what the deal is, but I think for now I can rest easy.

As Shrek is fond of saying "Better out than in." Maybe your other two batches still have the sulphur within while this one has gotten rid of it. Think how much better your beer feels having gotten rid of the gas. I know I always do (although maybe not my wife ;) )

Back