1 or 3 gallon carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy smaller carboys (1 - 3 gallons) besides a homebrew store?

Looking to make a couple of batches of wine for the first time (unless apple cider fermented with champagne yeast counts as wine)

Thanks a lot

One gallon jugs are easy to find- usually I use Carlo Rossi (cheap wine) jugs. They fit a #6 stopper and airlock just fine. For a three gallon carboy, I've only seen them at homebrew shops.

I do a lot of 2.5 gallon beer batched and I have a few 3 gallon spring water jugs for just that purpose. You can also try to find some food grade frosting buckets (usually free or a buck if you ask at the bakery section of a large grocery store or even meijers.) You'll have to punch a hole and put a grommet for an airlock on it.

Another option, as small fermenters are Gamma Plastics Vittles Vaults available through Petsmart. They are food grade, stackable, come in various sizes, and have an airtight locking lid...

32120780-177x150-0-0.jpg

Many people drill a hole, add a gromett and slap an airlock on for a fermenter.

I thought I had a few threads on here over the summer that mentioned Lowes carrying 3 gallon #1 water bottles for around $5, if you have a Lowes around that might be a good place to look. In addition, with all the holiday sales you might be able to pick up a Mr. Beer Kit from Bed, Bath and Beyond for right around $20-25 with the many coupons they offer.

You could also just buy some more apple cider in gallon jugs, make more apple wine and have a collection on 1 gallon fermenters as a bonus.

Another option, as small fermenters are Gamma Plastics Vittles Vaults available through Petsmart. They are food grade, stackable, come in various sizes, and have an airtight locking lid...

32120780-177x150-0-0.jpg

Many people drill a hole, add a gromett and slap an airlock on for a fermenter.

Revvy... you are a walking materials resource! After the tip on pasta machines and now this one, I'm asking you first when I want to find something handy. These thinsg look pretty cool for storage too.

Back