First Blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DR'95

Reaction score
My second batch is an Abbey Ale from a Brewferm kit, traded the dry yeast for liquid, used candy sugar...
Last night and this morning had significant blowout back through the airlock.

Should I be concerned?
Anything I can do to guard against this in the future?

Thanks

You will likely be alright with the pressure pushing air out instead a in. Blow off tubes are a good way to avoid these types of situations. You should consider using one in the future to avoid a repeat of this type of situation.

Blender - will that require me to primary in a carboy, with the blowout tube going to a pale?

DR'95 said:
Blender - will that require me to primary in a carboy, with the blowout tube going to a pale?
You should be able to use a blowoff tube with anything that has a hole to stick a tube in. So if you have a bucket lid, it'd be the same idea. I've only ever used carboys, but a hole is a hole in this case.

DR'95 said:
You can use a pail.I would try to use at least 1/2" tubing. Drill a hole for a stopper that accepts the tubing and you would be set. Yes,the blow off ends in a vessel submerged in sanitizer.

A glass carboy takes 1 1/4" tubing real nicely and watching the fermentation is a nice sideshow. A Better bottle is a good option as well.

In the mean time keep checking on that thing and clean out the airlock as many times as necessary till it settles down. If you let it go, the airlock will clog and then, KABLOOEY!!! You'll have beer everywhere!!

Back