Ordering my first kegs, what else do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm finally taking the leap into kegging!! I'm pretty excited about this. I've got my keg kit and everything picked out already,

my question is what ELSE should I be getting?

I already have my kegs, co2, lines, and everything actually necessary to keg beer ready to go.

I wanna know, when you first started kegging, what made you say "Man, I wish had got that too!" or "I should have just ordered this in the first place!"?

...I'm thinking along the lines of replacement rings, cleaning products, accessories, things like that.

I just get everything to hold me over for a while in one swoop.

Thanks!

I would assume you already have a regulator. I would also get a wrench to take off the posts for cleaning. I believe my posts use 7/8", yours might be different. Be sure to check the kegs for leaks and have a few extra poppets and o rings in case you need them.

I should also add that I'm getting 2 used pin lock kegs, and yes I have a dual body regulator.

Yeah, a wrench is a good idea! Exactly the kinda thing I was looking for.

Are there any little extra/spare parts I should get to have on hand?

Stuff like that...

Definitely get a couple sets of o-rings, a couple universal poppets and some keg lube. I also have an extra gas qc and liquid qc that i use for transferring from my fermenter straight to my purged keg. I have the liquid connector hooked to my transfer line and i use the extra gas connector to release pressure from the purged keg as it is filling with beer.

Poppets, seals and keg lube oh and a spare pressure release valve. I keged two beers a week ago, ended up needing a poppet and pressure release valve, luckily I had a third keg I could use for parts.

PBW to be able to soak them clean. Much easier than trying to stuff your arm in there.

Plenty of rags, sooner or later you're going to have an accident :D

johngaltsmotor said:
PBW to be able to soak them clean. Much easier than trying to stuff your arm in there.

Plenty of rags, sooner or later you're going to have an accident :D

+1 for PBW and Rags.

Definitely get a couple sets of o-rings, a couple universal poppets and some keg lube. I also have an extra gas qc and liquid qc that i use for transferring from my fermenter straight to my purged keg. I have the liquid connector hooked to my transfer line and i use the extra gas connector to release pressure from the purged keg as it is filling with beer.

You use the liquid out to transfer the uncarbed beer in? Do you use an autosyphon or something similar to do that?

Order placed :)

Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up getting extra o-rings, poppets, a co2 wrench, and spare disconnects.

I ordered my kegs and co2 from Beverage Elements and I got all my lines and fittings from Keg Connection.

AgentHubcap said:
You use the liquid out to transfer the uncarbed beer in? Do you use an autosyphon or something similar to do that?

I put my racking cane into a carboy cap and force co2 into the other hole in the carboy cap and then force the beer into a purged keg going thru the liquid in. You could do the same thing with an autosyphon if you are racking from a bucket.

About the co2 wrench , do I HAVE. To buy one off line or is there a deep socket or something I an get from lowes ?

Not sure what u mean by co2 wrench. I just use a normal crescent wrench to tighten the regulator to the co2 tank. If you're talking about the gas in and beer out posts on the keg I just use a normal box end wrench. I didn't have the proper size in my garage so I just took the empty keg into autozone and bought a cheap wrench to get the job done.

I would recommend one of those beer line brushes for cleaning your dip tube also. THAT was my "****, I wish I would have thought of that" item.

Latest posts

Back