Need Water Proof Labels!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I’ve googled, I’ve searched here, and I still can not find a clear answer. I need labels that will stand up to hours in coolers. Is there a paper out there that I can print on that will do this? Perhaps peel and stick labels? I went to OfficeMax last Friday and found some perfect size peel and stick type but wasn’t sure if they would stand up to the water and cold. Didn’t want to spend $38 if they weren’t going to work. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Wow, so I just got an estimate on waterproof labels from a local shop. This is the email I got back. "100 of these printed at3x4 inches onto a waterproof, adhesive backed material & die-cut will be $90 + tax. It will take 3-4 days to turn-around." That is crazy in my opinion.

Make up a code to put on the caps. BA = blonde ale, GP = German Pilsner, etc. Put a cheat sheet next to the cooler so people know what they are taking. Midwest Supplies sells colored caps, which could serve the same purpose.

If you cant find a digital friendly vinyl stock the next think I would try is a cast coated. I work at a print shop and we have produced short run wine labels with cast coated pressure sensitive where a flood varnish was cost prohibitive. Worth a shot if you can buy 1 sheet form a local print shop and test it

I used Sticker Paper (30 sheets for like 14$ at staples- i can put about 6 labels on each sheet) and they are water resistant-- appear to be at least.

EDIT: Second though I don't actually think they're water resistant, sorry.

I have used clear acrylic gloss spray sealer from the arts & crafts supply stores on inkjet Avery labels and it seems to weatherproof them pretty well.

:) Thanks everyone. Its funny to me that I have come this far and the thing I'm having the most trouble with is finding something for the labels. Grrr.

Michael, did that keep the paper from falling apart if it got wet?

I use the 3/4" round labels on caps, and have found that they hold up to splashing. I haven't stress tested them with continuous dunking, nor with larger side labels, but it's worth a try. Do it in a well ventilated area, as the spray fumes are pretty obnoxious.

I use waterproof laser printer labels from onlinelabels.com with a color laser printer. None of the "ink jet" labels will hold ink, despite being "waterproof". Just the label survives.

realize this means usually they are harder to get off.

One of the major limitations to home/small office printing, is the printer you use.
Inkjet tech simply can't bond to a surface, it has to be porous to actually soak up the ink. So, the paper can't be too smooth, and if it's too rough it will jam and create excess lint (leading to even more jamming/smudging in the future)

Unfortunately, even after it dries, it's not really completely dry, and paper still breaks down in water. So you can apply coatings, plastic wraps, or paint on a sealant, but it will still not be completely permanent (though it may be more than enough for a given purpose).

If you use a laser printer, however, the whole ball game changes.

Laser printers use lasers (big surprise) to create a static cling on the surface, and apply microscopic beads of toner, which is ink surrounded by plastic, which is then melted onto the surface. For this reason, many laser printed documents actually create a slight ridge, and it's a lot more durable (though it can sometimes chip, it won't bleed... ever)
Pair that with a polyester label, and you have something far more durable.

So, if you have access to a laser printer, use it. I use one to make my own product labels for another industry, and although I pay a slight premium doing it this way, I can produce my own labels on demand. It also means that I can run off a page or two for my bottle labels for less than a penny worth of toner.

All of the labels below are available in plain paper, water-resistant glossy, or water-PROOF polyester. Around $50 per 100 sheets, with 3-10 bottles worth of labels per page, depending on design and size.
http://www.onlinelabels.com/beer-bottle-labels.htm

I use waterproof laser printer labels from onlinelabels.com with a color laser printer. None of the "ink jet" labels will hold ink, despite being "waterproof". Just the label survives.

realize this means usually they are harder to get off.

Ha, your post wasn't here when I started typing. I got distracted and came back and submitted. I wouldn't trust inkjet labels to be waterproof even if sold that way, and I'm glad to find I was correct.
The polyester ones discussed also have the benefit of being VERY thin compared to paper, and especially glossy paper. That means they bend more easily, and cling better to tight curves.

Well I ordered some from a local shop here in town. Its going to be $55 for 100 labels printed off on some sort of water proof high glossy paper. Im going to order a few hundred sheets from onlinelabels anyways. Just to have. Thanks for the info from everyone.

How did the labels turn out from your local shop? Are they actually water proof? Or just water resistant?

Oh yeah, sorry to hear about your camera.

I print mine using Labelizer on plain paper and spray them with a coat of polyurethane before cutting. Use milk or knox to glue them on.

I used to create labels for all my beers, but I'm at the point now of just using the round labels on the caps with a sharpie. For the flip-top bottles its less to peel off once the bottle is empty, and for crown caps it just gets tossed. I've also designed labels and hung them with a string on a 6pack holder.

Back