Chlorine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hear tell potassium metabisulfite (which I use) will do the trick, also sold as "Campden tablets". Takes a ridiculously small amount. I'd have to look it up.

Activated carbon water filter. I use an inline refrigerator filter that I put together with some 1/4" water line and a 1/4" barbed hose fitting to hook up to my outside faucet.

If it's chlorine, the cheapest way is to setup your water and let it sit uncovered overnight before you brew. The chlorine will evaporate.

But campden tablets are cheap too. 1 tablet is good for 20 gallons.

chlorine disapates into air rather quickly... Over night at most... A little aggetation probably faster...

chloramine on the other hand... Not so much

I have city water but can't taste either... Is it still there?

Check your water report, make sure it's not chloramine.

For chlorine, let sit overnight or boil it for a few minutes.

For chloramine, you probably want to look into campden tablets. I brew 10-gallon batches, so between strike & sparge water I usually prepare 20 gallons or so of water. 1 tablet is enough to cover this, and they come 25 to a package for a few bucks. So it's a pretty darn minimal expense to get rid of chloramine.

I have started using a culligan RV filter, running water very slow through it. I also use a little potassium metabisulfite after that. Maybe a little overkill to do both, but once you ruin a batch with chlorophenols, you make sure it doesn't happen again

I use carbon as part of my RODI setup. The only problem is that you need to know when it needs replacing. I did buy a cheap chlorine test kit, but the sensitivity of the test is not high enough. I tend to replace the carbon more than I probably need to.

Back