Kegged Rainbow Cream Soda - All Foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I am attempting my first batch of kegged soda... (actually the first thing kegged at all). I made the soda the other day and put it under pressure.... It is at around 30 PSI. I shook it a few times. I tried to pour today and it is definitely coming out all foam.... How do I go about fixing it?

-Eric

Soda is more carbonated than beer- I also use 30 psi for soda (no shaking, though!)

Stop shaking and let it sit at 30 psi at 40 degrees. It'll settle down.

Make sure your serving line is 3/16" and about 30 feet long. That should cure the foaming issue.

Soda is more carbonated than beer- I also use 30 psi for soda (no shaking, though!)

Stop shaking and let it sit at 30 psi at 40 degrees. It'll settle down.

Make sure your serving line is 3/16" and about 30 feet long. That should cure the foaming issue.

Right now I am running 3/16" at 5'. Is that not long enough?...

Thanks. I noticed they have quite a few listings. Ill have to hunt around on there some more.

wait wait wait, is your serving pressure 30 psi? I thought most people lower it down to 3 - 4 psi for serving.

wait wait wait, is your serving pressure 30 psi? I thought most people lower it down to 3 - 4 psi for serving.

No, not that I know of. I suppose you could try that if you had to. But to turn it constantly up and down everytime you want to have a soda (or a beer) would be a huge pain. Especially if you have both beer and soda in the same kegerator. Turn down this regular, purge the keg, then serve. Then turn it up, but make sure it's the right one that's going to 30 psi!

Having a carbonation pressure and a serving pressure is actually much harder than just balancing the system.

Just turning it down probably wont work so well either. The CO2 will start to come out of solution in the line and it will be all foam before it even comes out of the faucet. Like stated the best advice is to use 30ft of line or I use 3 epoxy mixing nozzles in the dip tube to restrict my pour.

McMaster Carr #74695A12

Just turning it down probably wont work so well either. The CO2 will start to come out of solution in the line and it will be all foam before it even comes out of the faucet. Like stated the best advice is to use 30ft of line or I use 3 epoxy mixing nozzles in the dip tube to restrict my pour.

McMaster Carr #74695A12

Alright... so I replaced the line with 25 to 30 feet to test it. Instead of coming out really fast it now "sputters"... so fast then slow then fast then slow etc... with a ton of foam. I tested the system with just pure water at 30 psi (not carbonated) and it worked just fine. I am not too concerned about the soda because it tasted bad, but I want to make my system work right so I can put good stuff in there. Any ideas?

-Eric

Any ideas?

Eric,

I can't remember where I found this secret, but it was somewhere on this forum. Order part #74695A58 from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#74695a58/=a9g3h6

It's a nozzle for the tip of a 2-part epoxy gun. When they show up, use a small screwdriver and push the inner "mixer" part of the nozzle out. It's just the right size to drop into the dip tube of your corny keg (under the poppit on the "out" side). I read that it simulates having a much longer serving hose.

I'm no pro, and I've made only 2 batches of soda in my keg, but neither had a foaming problem and my beer line is less then 3' long.

Your mileage may vary, but it's a start. :)

-Tony

Alright... so I replaced the line with 25 to 30 feet to test it. Instead of coming out really fast it now "sputters"... so fast then slow then fast then slow etc... with a ton of foam. I tested the system with just pure water at 30 psi (not carbonated) and it worked just fine. I am not too concerned about the soda because it tasted bad, but I want to make my system work right so I can put good stuff in there. Any ideas?

-Eric

Did you shake the keg, or otherwise overcarb it?

Was the soda nice and cold, as well as the line?

I shook it originally... I think it may well have gotten overcarbed...

Is there a good solution for that? How long would it take soda to carbonate (come to equilibrium) if I just left it at 30 PSI? (not this stuff, but a new batch coming from no carbonation).

Is there a good solution for that? How long would it take soda to carbonate (come to equilibrium) if I just left it at 30 PSI? (not this stuff, but a new batch coming from no carbonation).

At 40 degrees or less, it might take about 5 days. You could go a bit higher with the psi, but again can risk overcarbing.

Back