Wort the color of swamp water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discodewey

Reaction score
So a buddy and I made our first all-grain brew yesterday. We did a 1/2 batch (~ 10L / 2.5G) using 2.5lbs of 2-row, 2.5lbs of pale malt and 0.5lb of oat flakes.
Our mash temperature got a bit high on us. It was probably ~160F for quite a while (30+ minutes). I'm a bit worried about this.

It's the following day and it seems to be fermenting just fine.

Anyways, my main question is about the color of the wort. Instead of a nice golden brown that I've seen it's more of a green-brown. Kinda swamp water looking.

Should I be concerned? Or just happy if we make good swamp water our first time around?

Cheers!

Don't worry about the color so much... When I first started, I fretted about the color... The funny thing is, is that I make a wheat beer that has a putrid puke color to the wort, but pours a nice golden hue after bottle conditioning. So, don't judge it until you ferment, carb, and condition.

Thanks BigB. The description of your wheat beer (putrid puke) sounds like the colour of our brew :)

P1010685.JPG

Back