Decisions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenspider

Reaction score
I hope to get some of you guys' opinions here.
My first attempt at brewing went fairly decent. I had alot of fun and it wasn't overly complicated.
I brewed a Munton's kit. It cost me $14.00 plus priming sugar to make almost 5 gallons.
After all is said and done I figure that comes out to (roughly) about $10 per case.
Now that's nice, but it's not "cheap", you can buy Bud for that price on sale around here. Granted, I don't drink Bud so it is a non-issue for me. The beers I prefer to drink, and most often buy, cost me $6-$10 per 6 pack.
$10 dollars a case is the most I would think it should cost for me to do all of the work.
From what I have been able to gather, the cost of a case of home brew is actually higher than $10, am I right?
How much are you all spending per case after all is said and done?

I hope to get some of you guys' opinions here.
My first attempt at brewing went fairly decent. I had alot of fun and it wasn't overly complicated.
I brewed a Munton's kit. It cost me $14.00 plus priming sugar to make almost 5 gallons.
After all is said and done I figure that comes out to (roughly) about $10 per case.
Now that's nice, but it's not "cheap", you can buy Bud for that price on sale around here. Granted, I don't drink Bud so it is a non-issue for me. The beers I prefer to drink, and most often buy, cost me $6-$10 per 6 pack.
$10 dollars a case is the most I would think it should cost for me to do all of the work.
From what I have been able to gather, the cost of a case of home brew is actually higher than $10, am I right?
How much are you all spending per case after all is said and done?

When I was doing extract beers, a typical kit cost about $30-$35, which makes about 53 12 ounce beers.

Now that I buy grain in bulk, most of my 5 gallon batches cost about $15 or so. I also buy hops by the pound, so it's cheaper.

It really depends on the batch- I have one recipe that uses 11 ounces of hops in 5 gallons. Of course, that's going to be more expensive than a batch that uses 1 ounce of hops.

My cheapest recipe that I make routinely is probably the "fizzy yellow beer". I've actually used some homegrown hops in it. I wash and reuse yeast, so I don't buy yeast very often. That "FYB" recipe was under $20 total.

You'll get a variety of answers on this one. Some people track their costs, some don't.

I don't. I'm more interested in making good beer without regard (to a reasonable extent) to cost. It costs what it costs.

If I had to guess, I'm probably spending more on homebrew than I would for comparable commercial beer.

-Steve

Case being 24 beers? Sure, you can do batches for $20 if you go all grain and buy in bulk.

5 gal x (128 oz/gal) x (1 bottle/12 oz) x (1 case/24 bottles) = 2.2 cases

Or for the rest of the world:

20L /0.355L (per bottle) /24 = 2.347 Cases.

And to answer the OP's question... the most expensive I've made was an extract Amber, costing 14.36 CAD per case of 24. $33.70 was the price of the ingredients, and a case of Labatt's Blue or Molson Canadian is around $37 or so... last time I checked.

Now that I think about it, the last case I bought was in Erie, PA for a two-four of Sam Adams Boston Lager. That was about $33 (greenbacks, but my memory might be failing me).

My favorite beer (at least for now) is Erdingers Hefe-Weizen. It costs $18 for an 18 pack. After that I really like New Castle, Lienies 1880 bock, Sam Adams' cream stout and even Michelob's amber bock.
These are fairly pricey quaffs, all. I usually buy Labatt blue because I have drank it for 20+ years and the price is right (used to LOVE Cinci cream and Old Vienna when I could get them). I really can't afford that kind of money too often so I thought maybe I could brew a good ale for cheaper. Just trying to put it all into perspective.

-----Vuarra, My son just got back from the Pinery and told me about the prices of Blue there (my usual standby). I don't know how they sell it for $37 there and I buy it for $16 here (U.S.)?

-----Gremlyn. That is what I am trying to figure out. When I went to the local brewing supply I bought a Muntons heavy scottish ale $14. According to the instructions it was all I needed except priming sugar. When I went to another supply store I mentioned what I was doing, they suggested malted hops, another $14. I'm thinking to myself that after I buy everything I need to make this batch I'm going to have almost $30 bucks into it plus all of the work and the wait of 3-4 weeks.
Hardly seemed worth all the trouble.
I complained about the costs and the guy at store2 says that I just need priming sugar then, that the kit will work without the malted.
The beer I made came out decent, not great but drinkable.
I want to make a good beer/ale like the ones I mentioned above, and I want to make it for less that I can buy it, or I may as well just buy it since I really enjoy the beers I mentioned, and I wont have to work so hard I can just sit down and drink one.
(Hope that makes sense, I know it reads funny)

Well, in my opinion, homebrewing will never be cheaper than those beers. I know you consider them pricey, but they are really inexpensive compared to many of the "good" beers I drink. That's fine if you like them- keep buying them and enjoying them. I don't care for those beers at all. Most of the beers I really like (Stone IPA, Lakefront Brewery's IPA and Cream City) are $10 a six pack.

Homebrewing really doesn't save money. By the time you consider your equipment costs, gas for the burner or your electricity, water for the chiller, malt, hops, bottle caps, etc, you will be lucky to break even.

It's not about saving money, although we all like to do that. It's about having a hobby. I'm sure that some hobbies (like scuba diving) cost quite a bit more. And some hobbies (gardening) probably save money or break even. But the reality is it is a hobby- making the best product I can and having fun doing it. If I had to justifiy my hobby by cost savings, I would have quit brewing a long time ago.

Its a 2 sided question and one in which was answered on both sides I think.

Sure, my 'regular' drinkers are around 10-12 bucks a sixer. But once I spent around $40 for a 6er of some craft brews I had never had before. For me, its like Yooper said - I get to make beer that I LOVE to drink (partially cause I made it) and because it makes me feel special cause Yooper sometimes talks to me.
What can I say? Im a sponge for attention... I mean, thats why I still brew to this day - only because Yooper said it was a good idea :p
-Me

I have a mead in secondary that I've probably got $80 or so invested in.

So far as beers are concerned, I think the most I've spent is something like $45 to make an extract batch of Belgian Tripel. Considering how much an equivalent beer sells for in the store, $45 for a couple cases is pretty darn cheap.

I do mostly all-grain brewing now and usually spend between $15 and $20 on ingredients, although if I had a place to store larger amounts of grain I could probably cut that to the $10-$12 range. For me there is no decision to make. The beer I make tastes way better than Bud or others sold at equivalent prices. In fact if for some reason I had to stop homebrewing, but could still drink beer as long as I spent an equivalent amount per case, I'd just not drink beer anymore.

$10 dollars a case is the most I would think it should cost for me to do all of the work. . . How much are you all spending per case after all is said and done?
This past Sunday's experiment included 7 1/2 ounces of Chinook.
If purchased from a LHBS that'd be over $22 just in hops.:eek:

(Thank goodness for HopsDirect!)

But then when I tried to buy a six of Oaked Arrogant Bastard to do a comparison, they wanted $15 for a six.

But than when I tried to buy a six of Oaked Arrogant Bastard to do a comparison, they wanted $15 for a six.

But it's SO delicious! I don't envision myself ever being able to make something of that complexity and quality.

I pay anywhere from $.30 to $1 per bottle to make beers. My most expensive was the Requiem Raspberry in my sig, $20 for the fresh Raspberries, and $30 for the base kit.

I look for cost savings in my equipemnt upgrades, and spend what i need to in order to make quality beer. Coopers makes decent cheap homebrew, but i desire more in my beers.

Greenspider - You've had many great responses to your question, but I think Yooper nailed it. Most of us brew because we love to do it. It's a hobby that always leaves you wanting to improve or invent. I think lots of folks get into homebrewing justifying their new hobby by thinking that making your own will be much cheaper than picking up 6 or 12 at the grocery. After some time and a few batches, however, those that find they LOVE brewing keep going and ignore the cost benefit ratio (which they find to be much higher than originally anticipated). Those that don't find that they love the process only have their original cost benefit ratio expectation, which dissapoints them and usually leads to them quitting (then they sell their gear at a huge discount to all of us :D).

All of that to say this:

1. Homebrewing, first and foremost, is a hobby -- and the point of a hobby is to pass free time in an enjoyable manor. If it's not fun, then it's probably not for you -- which is okay. (But give it a few more batches before you decide. It's incredible how fun you realize homebrewing is the first time you take a drink of YOUR brew and think, "God damn that's good!" Or better yet, when someone else says that.)

2. Homebrewing is typically not going to yield the kind of "cost per beer" that you originally thought. However, that my be your personal "drive" to keep brewing. Maybe you want to work your tail off to brew a precise Labatt Blue clone at the cheapest possible cost.

3. If you decide to continue homebrewing just remember: RDWAHAHB. If you don't know what that means, then head out to the homebrew supply store that sold you the Munton's kit and pick up a copy of Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, 3rd ed. It's a great book that even seasoned homebrewers still read through. Oh yeah, and HAVE FUN!!

4. Finally. Every homebrewer has an opinion about something -- me included. While it is important to ask around and learn from others, don't let anyone discourage you from your ambitions. Do your thing and RDWAHAHB.

Good luck friend :mug:

Greenspider - You've had many great responses to your question, but I think Yooper nailed it. Most of us brew because we love to do it. It's a hobby that always leaves you wanting to improve or invent. I think lots of folks get into homebrewing justifying their new hobby by thinking that making your own will be much cheaper than picking up 6 or 12 at the grocery. After some time and a few batches, however, those that find they LOVE brewing keep going and ignore the cost benefit ratio (which they find to be much higher than originally anticipated). Those that don't find that they love the process only have their original cost benefit ratio expectation, which dissapoints them and usually leads to them quitting (then they sell their gear at a huge discount to all of us :D).

All of that to say this:

1. Homebrewing, first and foremost, is a hobby -- and the point of a hobby is to pass free time in an enjoyable manor. If it's not fun, then it's probably not for you -- which is okay. (But give it a few more batches before you decide. It's incredible how fun you realize homebrewing is the first time you take a drink of YOUR brew and think, "God damn that's good!" Or better yet, when someone else says that.)

2. Homebrewing is typically not going to yield the kind of "cost per beer" that you originally thought. However, that my be your personal "drive" to keep brewing. Maybe you want to work your tail off to brew a precise Labatt Blue clone at the cheapest possible cost.

3. If you decide to continue homebrewing just remember: RDWAHAHB. If you don't know what that means, then head out to the homebrew supply store that sold you the Munton's kit and pick up a copy of Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, 3rd ed. It's a great book that even seasoned homebrewers still read through. Oh yeah, and HAVE FUN!!

4. Finally. Every homebrewer has an opinion about something -- me included. While it is important to ask around and learn from others, don't let anyone discourage you from your ambitions. Do your thing and RDWAHAHB.

Good luck friend :mug:

I agree 100%. I got into making my own wine and beer because I thought it was cost effective. I quickly learned that it really is about creating something that you and your friends will enjoy.

Now that's nice, but it's not "cheap", you can buy Bud for that price on sale around here. Granted, I don't drink Bud so it is a non-issue for me.

What? Are you sure you're not thinking a case is a 12Pack. I've seen 12 packs for around $10 (rarely) but never, ever a case of beer (24ct).

Now that I've read a few other posts, the main reason I keep brewing is that everything I brew tastes *different*. To me, Blue tastes like Canadian, which tastes like Canadian MGD, which tastes like Canadian Budweiser....

I've actually developed a taste for Labatt's 50 Ale... and the local joke is that the only way to drink it is after the natives (don't flame me... I'm part Algonquin) put the case on the engine block on the way back from the beer store... all of a sudden, I can taste the ale aspect of that beer... and can I taste Nottingham? Wow... new found appreciation of BMC beers? What a hobby!

Latest posts

Back