tap water makes my wort foam!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
I've always used bottled spring water...except for my last two batches, I used tap water in those. Both batches foam and bubble very easily after malt extract has been added when I use tap water.

I have racked the first already...it continues to form iridescent bubbles and foam. I thought it was soap at first. I had rinsed everything well, but perhaps I had slipped up and forgotten after a few too many homebrews? I thought this until I brewed another batch tonight.

I made sure that I rinsed everything extremely well. Multiple times. With piping hot water. No bubbles...until I added the extract! I now know the problem isn't soap, as I was rinsing the LME can out with tap water and it foamed and bubbled like crazy!

Do you guys think this is a potential problem? These are my fifth and sixth batches, so I'm not really a newb anymore, but I've never run into this. Does anyone else experience this?

The only thing I was concerned about was the first tap water batch had a very soapy feel in the mouth as well...maybe it was a placebo effect, or maybe I *did* get soap in it. I guess I'll just have to wait 5 weeks and see how it turns out. Damn you, brewing time!

It shouldn't be a problem although my tap water killed my yeast as far as i know.

Sounds like you need to talk to your water district and find out what minerals are in the water.

If you are not using a carbon filter with your tap water you could be adding chlorine to your beer. Some people get a medicine flavor from straight tap water.

I got a medicinal taste to my beer when using tap-water. I attributed it to the chloramines in my tap-water. I think my water utility thinks the stuff is a flavor-enhancer....

Hmm...but the water *tastes* good, so it should make good beer? Man I hope so. Otherwise the batch I have in the primary is screwed.

Back