My Wit has a Hot-dog Aftertaste!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know last night I was making a quick easy dinner. Boiled some hot dogs.

I was cleaning up afterward and saw the pot with the dog-water? It made me think of this thread.

You didn't happen to make hot dogs and boil your priming water and possibly get the two them mixed up did you? :D

I have used McCormick Brand Coriander it tastes normal. My Hoegaarten clone was so close to the original its not funny.

From the sounds of it you need to give it some time. I think that is good news.

I once lost a steel screen in a batch of beer. I think the acidity dissolved the screen, I couldn't find it anywhere, in my fermentor or sink. The beer was a APA and it tasted like metal real bad during bottling. About 2 months later I could not even tell that it was the same beer. It changed that much.

You didn't happen to make hot dogs and boil your priming water and possibly get the two them mixed up did you? :D

I have used McCormick Brand Coriander it tastes normal. My Hoegaarten clone was so close to the original its not funny.

Awesome Schlenkerla!

McCormick has always worked for me, but the Indian coriander might be interesting to try.

FYI it isn't my beer, I never really noticed it, but I taste hot dogs in New Belgium's Mothership Wit too. So I would have to say this brew is to style. SWMBO likes the Witbiers, I am not a HUGE fan, I enjoy them, but I would drink something else if I have the choice.

FYI it isn't my beer, I never really noticed it, but I taste hot dogs in New Belgium's Mothership Wit too. So I would have to say this brew is to style. SWMBO likes the Witbiers, I am not a HUGE fan, I enjoy them, but I would drink something else if I have the choice.

You're not the only one to notice that flavor. I like witbiers and love Hoegarden, but I've always thought they had a sort of cured meat aftertaste, especially Hoegarden. Years ago, first time I tried one, I started referring to it as the salami beer. Even my wife knows it by that name and she doesn't even drink beer.

Glad it is mellowing, 1 week in bottle is to short in my opinion and is probably why you have the odd flavor. Even if it goes away completely I'd still name the beer Coney Island Wit or some such, would make for interesting conversation at least :)

When I kegged my Wit (BM's Recipe) a few weeks ago, it smelled like hot dogs very much. And now I have 10 more gallons of it fermenting with a mild hotdog smell, But it tastes and smells great when pouring, I think its the kraussen maybe. But like I said, this hot dogness was not present after racking to keg and serving.

I bet part of it is just esters of the yeast. Like that of lagers that churn out sulfury odors. Some ales ferment awful smelly too. How often have you smelled banana in the ferment only to find its totally gone after its in the bottle?

Think about warm beer and how it can smell bad or not so appetizing after awhile.

I bet the temp fermenting your wit has something to do with it as does your cell count at pitching.

Aging works miracles too!!! :rockin:

I had a "beerfest" at my house in early April and one of the beer we were sampling was the Celius White. While the beer ranked very high in the 20+ beers we sampled (I think it got either 2nd or 3rd), my Aunt instantly stated the Celius tasted like hot dog water. After that everyone else tasted it too. I have always liked Celius, but this was the first time I picked this flavor up. It was not even an aftertaste, this was very upfront and immediate. The citrus and spice were more on the back end. Which is how it finished so high. I have since had Celius on draft and the hotdog flavored water taste was not there. I assumed the bottle was old.

You know I have never tasted hot dog water. I might need to take a sample to better understand this!!

Do you think brat water is sufficient? Not boiled in beer though. I don't have any BMC to waste. :D

The flavor is in the aroma, once it is in your mouth the orange and corriander stand out. It has definitely mellowed, but it has been in the bottle for over 2 months now (since 3/15). I know that Wits and Wheats are meant to be drank young, but I enjoy it a helluva lot more now than at 2 weeks.

Like I said I had a 22 of Mothership Wit a few days ago, and it smelled and tasted almost identical to the flavor and aroma I originally described, so I will chalk this brew up as a success. It was a LHBS kit, costed around $45 which I think is kinda steep, so I'm gonna buy my own ingredients this next go round and see if I can't cheapen it up a bit.

On that topic, is there any real difference in purchasing Brewer's Best ingredients (which are supposedly packaged exclusively for brewing) opposed to say ingredients from the local farmer's market or organic food supply store?

Of course other than the obvious, "they are much more expensive.".

That's awesome! So many of you out there are so clever with your word play, goes to show I'm still new to this :mug:

She liked HeBreWit, when I talked to her last night, she thought it was funny, I am at work today, so I haven't let her know the update...She also liked Wienerschnitzel Wit she had a giggle.

BTW thanks for some great suggestions!

Back