No Krausen on starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
Normally use dry yeast or just pitched liquid but decided to make a starter. I know exactly how to do it just curious why I am not getting any krausen. My last two which were both american ale 1056 just had a few bubbles on surface no real activity. I see a nice thick layer of yeast on bottom but just wondering if something is wrong.

Relax, I just had the same thing happen to me. I made a starter with some wlp 051 for a leftover IPA and the starter had no krausen. It took off about 24-36 hrs. and did fine.

:mug:

I've only ever seen one krausen form on a starter of minr...it's not what happens on the top, but that nice band of creamy yeast on the bottom, that really matters.....

I actually consider finding a krausen on a starter like winning the lottery...in fact if your beer is ready to go and there is a krauzen on the starter than it is the best time to actually pitch one..it's an old term called "pitching at high krauzen."

I actually consider finding a krausen on a starter like winning the lottery...in fact if your beer is ready to go and there is a krauzen on the starter than it is the best time to actually pitch one..it's an old term called "pitching at high krauzen."

I must be an old brewer because that is how I always try to time it.

3 quarts of starter will just keep on going once poured into 10 gallons of wort with added O2.

David :)

I must be an old brewer because that is how I always try to time it.

3 quarts of starter will just keep on going once poured into 10 gallons of wort with added O2.

David :)

That's cool...I figure most krausens happen to me when I'm asleep or something....THe one time I did get one I was able to pitch at high krausen, and it was the one time I needed a blowoff tube.

Latest posts

Back