White specks on top of my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
My first brew is in the secondary (a honey cream ale) and a white layer has formed around the edge of the top of the carboy and it has some white specks floating at the top. I think it may just be yeast, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if it may be infected. Any help would be appreciated.

Yep, it's yeast floaties. They get a little excited when you rack to secondary sometimes and float to the top. Sometimes they sink back down and sometimes they just float but it's not a problem either way.

You will see all sorts of weirdness in that carboy over time. I brewed a Cream Ale my last batch and man it looked bad.

Believe me, when you get a bad infection you will know it!
Don't worry about it, next time wait a little longer before you rack to secondary. That is unless your reusing your yeast cake but give it time to clear and condition in the secondary.

Back