Red wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
I have 50+ lb of the stuff and am wondering what sort of wild and wonderful stuff I can come up with. So far I have seen some wheat beer stuff including a good looking wheat bock. Anyone out there have some other good ideas for using this stuff. Malting, all grain, hybrid etc.?
Thanks guys

Is it already malted/converted? I thought all wheat was pale colored, but perhaps this was slightly toasted when being malted? Any idea how dark it is?

It is not malted or anything, still in bags and a bucket. The beer I saw seemed darker and realy high alcohol. 9%. I am willing to try something like that if I can find out more I saw it at a "Rock bottom" brew pub and didnt actualy get it cose I was driving and realy hungry and knew 9% would do me in. I will most likely go back and look into it though.

Red wheat refers to the type of whaet. It's a harder wheat than the softw white wheat. It's unmalted and often sold as "wheat berries" in health food stores.

Unmalted wheat was mainly used a loooong time ago. It's really only still used in some Belgians like lambics and Wits. Because it is unmalted, special steps need to be taken to utilize it.

I made a Wit this weekend and used about 25% unmalted wheat. I did a long acid rest, a long protein rest and then the normal saccarification. The stuff is notorious for stuck mashes so be careful.

If you want to use raw wheat, the flaked wheat from the brew store is much easier because it is pre-gelatinized. If you want to make wheat beer, just get some malted wheat. It's much easier to work with and convert.

Steeping raw wheat will yield nothing other than starches, most of which will probably be insoluble because it hasn't been gelatinized. It needs to be mashed and maybe gelatinized by boiling. It must be mashed with malted grains that contain the necessary enzymes for conversion. And be prepared for a looong slow sparge that may well get stuck.

Thans, maby I will make bread with it to eat with my beer by other grains then... Or if I have more time than I expect I will go for adventure eh?
Thanks

Yeah you could play with malting it, too. That's fun. Then you can make home roasted malts, too. All kinds of fun adventures in brewing ;) Cheers!

Back