brew stand/brew cart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I have decided its time that i start to organize the brewery. I want to build a brewstand that will contain all of my mash boil chill equiment: mash tun, hlt, boil kettle, wort chillers and all the odds and ends i will need. This will give me more space inside which i need. MY plan was to make more a brew cart than a brew stand. A cabinet or two underneath for all of my equipment and basically a countertop for me to work on (two tier with heavy lifting instead of a pump). I dont have space to keep it in the garage so i was thinking i would get a decent grill cover to keep its protected and a lock on the cabinets. I am not sure what i am going to build it out of yet metal (no welding) or wood. IT will also have weels and casters to make it mobil. I was also thinking about trying to keep it light so i can travel easily with if necessary.

I would be happy to hear from the rest of you guys about any improvements or things i am missing before i start building this thing.

You might consider getting the folding scaffold that Home Depot sells for $99.

It sounds like that would fit the bill for most of the things you listed. It's got a nice set of lockable wheels, folds up for a small storage foot print and easy portability, has a work platform on the end. You could add a couple of 2'X8's across the bottom rung and use the metal platforms that come with it across the top. That would give you a 3 tier setup counting the ground as the 3rd tier.

I use 2 with a bridge between the scaffolds so that I can gravity feed from the HLT to the MLT to the Boil pot and finally the fermenter.

Don't forget to factor your time into anything you decide to build. I'm not trying to discourage you from building a unit for yourself, some people just like building stuff and time is not a consideration.

How about something like this? $99 at Academy. I think they also have one that has 3 burners in a 2-tier setup. It's already mobile and you could easily add/build shelves or cabinets down low. You could even setup a removable top and use it as a storage shelf or work bench when you're not brewing. If I was the non-DIY type, I'd definately look at something like this.

0267-01287-0001.jpg

Academy? Link?

Abracadabra, can you confirm the scaffolding is: 1) All metal? When I was as HD the other day the planks looked plastic; and 2) How wide are the planks? Wide enough to set up a propane burner? Looking like this is a great idea. And I like the multi-tasking aspect of these, also.

JeffNYC said:
Academy? Link?

Abracadabra, can you confirm the scaffolding is: 1) All metal? When I was as HD the other day the planks looked plastic; and 2) How wide are the planks? Wide enough to set up a propane burner? Looking like this is a great idea. And I like the multi-tasking aspect of these, also.

Yes it is all metal except the work platform and the tires.:)

The banjo burner sits on the platform just fine. The legs of my tall turkey fryer are a little too wide, it's a 3 leg job so I use a 1"x4" under 2 of the legs which works out perfectly as it puts the HLT at a slight angle which allows for more water to drain out than if it were perfect level. I could put a small 1"x4" block under the 3rd leg if I wanted it perfectly level.

I also had to add some additional blocks of wood on the bridge between the scaffolds to get the MLT at the exact height for the height of my keggle and banjo burner. Depending on what you use for a boil pot you may or may not have to do something similar.

Just off hand I'd say the platform total width is 18".

And THANKS I was right proud of myself when I came up with the idea.

That unit lil sparky posted looks pretty cool too!

wow.. that stand is awesome from acadamy.. and i have one right down the street! Christmas present??

Is that big enough for two keggels?

Seems like you could combine the Academy idea with the scaffolding idea, saves on one scaffold and having to buy burners. Buy a pump to transfer water to mashtun on the scaffold (up high), then let gravity fall back into brew kettle on the Academy setup. $99 for the cart, $89 for the scaffolding, $100-ish for the pump. Going to have to think about this a little, but seems promising other than mash tun is up higher making it more difficult to stir.

If you're using a pump, put the MLT down low and use the pump to xfer to the BK. ;) This is one of the great benefits of a 2-tier + pump setup. The only question I would have is how much drop is needed to prime the pump. Those vertical requirements may cramp a setup like this.

For my education, what is the drop required to prime a pump? Of course, it makes more sense to do what you said...

FYI, on About.com I found this:

"Academy Sports’ Outdoor Gourmet Grill is made specifically for Academy Sports. There is no other information about it on the web and limited info on their web site. However….check out the product manual for the grill you want on the web site, but I think it would be better to just go and check it out if you can. "

So not likely to be able to get it up here in NY. Couldn't find anything doing a search.

So close, yet so far away...

Jeff

abracadabra said:
Yes it is all metal except the work platform and the tires.:)

The banjo burner sits on the platform just fine. The legs of my tall turkey fryer are a little too wide, it's a 3 leg job so I use a 1"x4" under 2 of the legs which works out perfectly as it puts the HLT at a slight angle which allows for more water to drain out than if it were perfect level. I could put a small 1"x4" block under the 3rd leg if I wanted it perfectly level.

I also had to add some additional blocks of wood on the bridge between the scaffolds to get the MLT at the exact height for the height of my keggle and banjo burner. Depending on what you use for a boil pot you may or may not have to do something similar.

Just off hand I'd say the platform total width is 18".

And THANKS I was right proud of myself when I came up with the idea.

That unit lil sparky posted looks pretty cool too!

What are the platforms or planks made out of? Any risk of fire from this? Do they get hot when you run it?

I am thinking about using that cart from acadamy and the turkey fryer burner i have already.. and just keep the kettle on the ground.. should be a easy and cheap setup..

I am a Diy guy so i would prolly do this cart myself. I will have to look at the scafolding, might be a good start to a frame for my cart. I dont reaaly have a need for the multiple burner setup, i have a nice burner with an eleven gallon pot that does me well, i will invest in a keggle sometime soon. I cant keep up the drinking fast enough with my brewing so i ahve no need for ten gallon batches either. I have a ten gallon round cooler, 5 gallon round cooler and 12 gallon rectangular cooler. So my goal is basically to have a counter top to place my mash tun and cabinets underneath to store my boiling supplies with the ability to leave it outside.

JeffNYC said:
What are the platforms or planks made out of? Any risk of fire from this? Do they get hot when you run it?

There's no risk of fire the way I have mine set up.

The platforms that come with the unit are all metal. I bridge the 2 scaffolds with 2 each 1"x8"s but the MLT (10 gal. cooler) sits on the wood so there's no heat near it.

The frame at the back of the scaffold with the banjo burner gets pretty warm and a small area of paint has become discolored.

This 2 burner setup has me thinking, I have 3 kegs and need a brew sculpture. I'm thinking I may beable to do this whole thing for under $300.00

Anyone see a two burner cart like this in NY/CT area? Or online to order?

I've seen these that you can order online from a few places, but I don't really like them as well and am not really sure about the dimensions.

I know I've seen a 3 burner setup with 2 up high and 1 on a lower shelf, but I can't find it online. Pretty sure Gander Mountain has it if you've got one of those close by.

http://www.weliveoutside.com

DB375.jpg

Bayou%20Classic%20DB250.jpg

Bayou%20Classic%20TB650.jpg

RAB5.jpg

I went to go look at the ones at Academy Sports..

the two burner has plenty of room for 2 kegs, but the 3 burner would be a little tight...

abracadabra said:
There's no risk of fire the way I have mine set up.

The platforms that come with the unit are all metal. I bridge the 2 scaffolds with 2 each 1"x8"s but the MLT (10 gal. cooler) sits on the wood so there's no heat near it.

The frame at the back of the scaffold with the banjo burner gets pretty warm and a small area of paint has become discolored.

Without knowing the dimensions, would this work:

HLT, top shelf moved to the back of the unit, gravity fed to:

MLT (converted cooler), second to bottom shelf moved to the front of the unit (to be able to stir), gravity fed to:

BK on burner on the ground.

I only do 5 gallon batches so the idea would be to chill it then just pour it into my primary fermenter (plastic bucket).

Feedback?

Lil' Sparky said:
I've seen these that you can order online from a few places, but I don't really like them as well and am not really sure about the dimensions.

I know I've seen a 3 burner setup with 2 up high and 1 on a lower shelf, but I can't find it online. Pretty sure Gander Mountain has it if you've got one of those close by.

http://www.weliveoutside.com

DB375.jpg

Bayou%20Classic%20DB250.jpg

Bayou%20Classic%20TB650.jpg

RAB5.jpg

Man....wish I knew they made those fold up 3 burner single tiers about 2 months ago! $99-$150 isn't bad, you get a SLICK setup, and you'd probably spend more DIY'ing.

JeffNYC said:
Without knowing the dimensions, would this work:

HLT, top shelf moved to the back of the unit, gravity fed to:

MLT (converted cooler), second to bottom shelf moved to the front of the unit (to be able to stir), gravity fed to:

BK on burner on the ground.

I only do 5 gallon batches so the idea would be to chill it then just pour it into my primary fermenter (plastic bucket).

Feedback?

I think you'd have a difficult time trying to stir your MLT if you have a 10 gal. round cooler. A rectangular type or a 5 gal. round cooler might work.

I saw a picture posted on this forum I think of a guy that used a folding ladder for his setup. I'll see if I can find it.

My brew stand is setup to gravity feed like that. I'm not sure how high your 2nd tier would be, but I just use a little folding step stool. I can stir without it if I really want to.

01BrewSculpture.jpg

abracadabra said:
I think you'd have a difficult time trying to stir your MLT if you have a 10 gal. round cooler. A rectangular type or a 5 gal. round cooler might work.

I saw a picture posted on this forum I think of a guy that used a folding ladder for his setup. I'll see if I can find it.

I have a 7.5 gallon cooler, it's pretty squat. I assumed there was 1' between rows, so 2' might work, assuming the shelves are offset with one in the back and one in the front.

JeffNYC said:
I have a 7.5 gallon cooler, it's pretty squat. I assumed there was 1' between rows, so 2' might work, assuming the shelves are offset with one in the back and one in the front.

If you only use 1 shelf at each level it will be too narrow. When I mentioned that I think the shelf/platform is 18" or so wide I was refering to both shelf units together.

I might get a chance to brew this weekend if so I'll post some pictures of my setup and you can get a better idea of the dimensions. I see if I can take some measurements too.

tbulger said:
Anyone else ever use that pump? seems like it could be a usefull gadget.

Most drill driven pumps are a no-no because they can't tolerate the hi temps. This one is different in that respect, but the next question is: Is it food grade, i.e. are there parts that come in contact with the fluid that are greased up, and do the plastics leech harmful chemicals into the beer?

How does the two tier work? i get the sparge part but how do you control the slow outlet of the mash into the boil? pump? i have a pump but it dosen't run that slowly???

ebhomey said:
How does the two tier work? i get the sparge part but how do you control the slow outlet of the mash into the boil? pump? i have a pump but it dosen't run that slowly???
If it's a March pump, you throttle the pump with a ball valve on the outlet. With a 2-tier, you can either have the kettle down low, gravity drain to it and use the pump to xfer the sparge water. Or, you can have the mash down low, use gravity to move the sparge water and the pump to xfer the wort up into the kettle. I can see benefits of either setup.

So has anyone purchased the dual burner cooker from Academy? Is it worth getting? I'm thinking about getting one, but the lack of BTU information isn't really helping convince me.

Don't suppose anyone has seen or used this? It is about $265 shipped. I don't live in TX, so the $119 Academy one is out for me.

It is low pressure - not sure exactly what that means. There is not a lot of info but it looks like banjo burners from the pic.

propanestand.jpg

Back