Beginnier - Good First Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blong4133

Reaction score
Hey all. Apologize if this question is asked a lot but I'm in the process of researching to make my first homebrew. I would like to know what some of you have found to be relatively easy for a first time brewer.

The types of beers that I am interested in trying to brew if they aren't too difficult for a first timer are Stouts/Porters/Pale Ales. In particular, I really love the fall seasonal brews a lot of breweries sell. Probably two of my favorite beers are New Belgium's Red Hoptober, and Sierra Nevada's Tumbler. I'm not sure what differentiates the fall brews from others because I have not gotten into research specific types of beers just yet.

And for what it's worth, I'll be using a beer making kit. Once I start getting the hang of things, I'll upgrade the equipment. But I've always wanted to get into homebrewing and thought that a beer making kit would be the most practical way to get my feet wet.

Thanks!

I am new to brewing as well (4 batches deep) and my first brew was a hodgepodge of old LME and some Cascade hops, but it turned out pretty decent. I'd recommend getting a basic extract kit with some grains to steep from your LHBS or one of the many online stores (Midwest, NB, AustinHomeBrew, etc...) I have used Midwest for 3 of my 4 batches, but their shipping is too much (11 bucks) and I recently stumbled upon a really good LHBS. Again, order you a kit or go to a brew shop and get a kit for one of your favorite beers. Just brew something that you like to drink.

Hey all. Apologize if this question is asked a lot but I'm in the process of researching to make my first homebrew. I would like to know what some of you have found to be relatively easy for a first time brewer.

The types of beers that I am interested in trying to brew if they aren't too difficult for a first timer are Stouts/Porters/Pale Ales. In particular, I really love the fall seasonal brews a lot of breweries sell. Probably two of my favorite beers are New Belgium's Red Hoptober, and Sierra Nevada's Tumbler. I'm not sure what differentiates the fall brews from others because I have not gotten into research specific types of beers just yet.

And for what it's worth, I'll be using a beer making kit. Once I start getting the hang of things, I'll upgrade the equipment. But I've always wanted to get into homebrewing and thought that a beer making kit would be the most practical way to get my feet wet.

Thanks!

My first brew was the White House Honey Porter clone that my LHBS had put together, naturally I rushed it since it was my first but all in all it turned out pretty good for a first brew IMO. I love the roasted smell and finish I get with it. It was relatively easy as well. Just pick what you like, do research before hand and be patient. Good luck!

And as a side note, check out YouTube. There are some really good extract brewing videos as well as all grain whenever you're ready to take that step. Terpsichoreankid, CraigTube, BrewerTV, Beer Geek Nation, etc. All have some really good and informative videos. The first two are the ones that I stumbled upon and watched the most after my first brew and I wish I would have found them, as well as this forum, beforehand. I have found really good info here and the people know what they are talking about and have quick response times.. Just joined up yesterday but I'm sure I will be sticking around for a while.

Erich8 said:
And as a side note, check out YouTube. There are some really good extract brewing videos as well as all grain whenever you're ready to take that step. Terpsichoreankid, CraigTube, BrewerTV, Beer Geek Nation, etc. All have some really good and informative videos. The first two are the ones that I stumbled upon and watched the most after my first brew and I wish I would have found them, as well as this forum, beforehand. I have found really good info here and the people know what they are talking about and have quick response times.. Just joined up yesterday but I'm sure I will be sticking around for a while.

Terpsichoreankid is the guy who owns my lhbs... Extremely helpful and courteous, patient with a newbie. Will be headed back to his shop on Wednesday

Terpsichoreankid is the guy who owns my lhbs... Extremely helpful and courteous, patient with a newbie. Will be headed back to his shop on Wednesday

Yeah he seems like it. I started watching his vids and then realized he owns the shop. Also, I tried calling him to order from him online just cause hes helped me out a lot through his vids.. And he never got back to me. Guess I should clarify.. The reason I called was to see if he had free shipping on orders over a certain amount that way I could justify ordering through him.

Erich8 said:
Yeah he seems like it. I started watching his vids and then realized he owns the shop. Also, I tried calling him to order from him online just cause hes helped me out a lot through his vids.. And he never got back to me. Guess I should clarify.. The reason I called was to see if he had free shipping on orders over a certain amount that way I could justify ordering through him.

When was that? He's always very responsive when I ask questions on facebook. I know the shop is closed on occasion, most recently because of holiday travel, and kidney stones before that. I'd chat him up on their Facebook page.

It was last Tuesday or Wednesday? He might have been closed for Thanksgiving. Not ruling that out. And he may have just ignored it cause of the different area code assuming it was a telemarketer or something.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm really glad I stumbled upon this site. A lot of great info and helpful posters! Thanks again and any more suggestions regarding where to get the best stuff will be greatly appreciated. I don't have access to a supply store so will have to order everything I need.

The easiest first brew with decent results will be an extract pale ale with a single hops. You can find about a zillion recipes around.

That was NOT my first batch, but it is what I went to when I got frustrated with all the recipes with lots of ingredients and lots of steps.

Another option would be to look at chapter one of either Palmer or Papazian, and just follow the instructions in the book.

The Palmer one is even online at howtobrew.com

I'm finding research is your best friend in this obsession. This place is a plethora of information and I'm surprised I haven't wore out the search engine when reading.

Just about any starter kit from the major HB companies would be good (Austin, Midwest, Northern Brewer, Williams, etc.) I got mine from Northern Brewer.

One thing I would like to add is, don't be afraid to splurge on a good kettle. When I bought my kit, I also added in the cost of a 5 gallon kettle. I regret not going bigger for doing full volume boils since most kits are based on 5 gallons.

Oh, and if you get on YouTube alot, avoid any of those home brew videos done by "Take Some Advice." Scary stuff.

Good luck!

If you don't have a brewing set up yet then any of the previous sites mentioned put together good kits. Midwest occasionally has a great Groupon offer and when it's out it's usually mentioned on this site!

You will need a kettle, get a good one and get a bigger one than 5 gallons. You'll also need a sanitizer. Kits come with cleaners but not sanitizer. Star San or Iodophors are pretty much the standard recommendations.

Pale Ales are super easy and hard to screw up so find a kit with extract and steeping grains with the ABV you desire. Get a good yeast like SO5 or a liquid strain(you will need to learn about starters if you go liquid)

Read palmer's "How to Brew" as mentioned!!!!

Search for late extract additions and your beers color and flavor will be more true to the beer.

Have fun and ask questions! Welcome and cheers!

My first brew was Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber. There's a good video on YouTube for how to brew it and it turned out good despite typical noob mistakes. I recommend it.

Northern brewer has a special right now. Buy a 5 gallon kettle and ingredient kit you get a free $80 starter kit

One of my first brews was a True Brew Porter kit. It's pretty simple and turned out well, although several people have reported that it never seems to get down to the final gravity the kit claims. Pair that up with a good starter equipment kit and you'll be good to go!

I did a brewer's best witbier kit. I would reccomend staying away from steeping grains the first time around. Not difficult, but an added step to screw up, freak out for 3 hours, then realize that it doesn't really matter in the long run. Stick to something you actually like drinking, so you know what it should taste like...

As someone who has only done three (3) beers and a few wines, I would say - whatever you do - cool the wort to the temp specified in the recipe before adding yeast... and sanitize well.

I'd pick a pre-hopped, all-malt if you want something simple that tastes dern good too. Of course, most kits (even with multiple hop additions and steeping grains) are still really easy.

Welcome to the hobby. It's a delicious one!!

Back