adding faucets to a tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
After looking at prices of a 3 tap tower, im asking myself, what does it take to add 2 faucets to my single tap tower? It is a 3" tower, so is sinking a 2" shank with an elbowed tailpiece going to be too much to fit inside? If anyone has done this, let me know and let me know how... If there is an easy way, that would be awesome because of my lack of tools and mechanical know how. Thanks.

I bought a two tap extension for my tower. You literally pop off the cap at the top and add the 4 inch extension with two taps. Presto! three tap tower.

oooo, that sounds just easy enough for me to be able to do :D Do you remember where you got them and for about how much?

deathweed said:
oooo, that sounds just easy enough for me to be able to do :D Do you remember where you got them and for about how much?

I know foxx equipment has them on page B5 of the 2007 beer book, but they are wholesale only. If your LHBS has an account with them they could order it for you.

Here is a direct link to the pdf version of the 2007 beer book(no prices listed) : http://foxxequipment.com/cart/pic/beerbook.pdf

I found this last night:
http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=19205&cat=870&page=1

what about drilling a 1" hole in my existing tower and adding this? seems like it would work in theory, and I think this is what was suggested to me on another thread, but has anyone tried this?

remember: <-- mechanically inept, if its not living, I cant fix it....:D

deathweed said:
I found this last night:

what about drilling a 1" hole in my existing tower and adding this? seems like it would work in theory, and I think this is what was suggested to me on another thread, but has anyone tried this?

That link to the keg works site is exactly what you are looking for. you only need the capability to drill a hole that will fit the shank. If you don't have the tools or are uncomfortable doing it I am sure that you can persuade a friend to do it with a little homebrew (after he drills the hole of course). After looking at the tower extentions, though, why just add one more tap when you can have two more:D

Cheers

wop31 said:
why just add one more tap when you can have two more:D

Cheers

that is the ultimate plan :cross: but I figured try one first and then move on from there.

ollllo said:
Drilling that convex surface might be a challenge without a drill press

say I dont have a drill press, and say all I have is a power drill and prob going to pick up a step bit (watch out, this unskilled person is going to attempt a keggle.... eventually) with a pilot hole and extra hands/brother in laws vice, is this worth the shot with a $100 tower? Just need the confirmation before I jump in and decide to do this. <--cold feet on DIY:D

deathweed said:
I found this last night:

I can't seem to get this kegworks link to work. I need to do the same think as deathweed. What was this a link to? Can you post the link again? Thank you

foppa78 said:
I can't seem to get this kegworks link to work. I need to do the same think as deathweed. What was this a link to? Can you post the link again? Thank you

d_3617.jpg

Here is what the link was to. It's a new shank w/o the faucet on it.

May be too late, but I added a second faucet to my 2 " tower. I drilled a 1 inch hole using a standard drill and a step drill bit. Since my tower was only 2 inches, i had to lower the position of the second faucet so they are not the same height. Everything fit inside, including some insulation. It took a while to get everything in there and connected, but its working great.

Sorry it took me so long to update, but I just used a 7/8" hole saw ($5.60 at the home depot) punched 2 holes in my existing tower, and added faucets using the kits that I posted before. Works awesome!!!! Oh, and I did manage to find dome 3/16" tubing as well, Its not thick walled like the beer line but its rated to 50PSI, and I hope to god I never have dispensing presures that high! no problems with foaming or anything. If you need any more detains, just ask! Ill post pictures when I finally upgrade :D

Oh man, thats great to hear! I would love to see some pictures when you have everything polished off. I've got a single but would love to buy the parts to build a dual tower.

Wow, so it took me wayyyyyyyy too long to post pictures...
tower.JPG
Thats my "Bud" selection of tap handles: Bud light, Bud select, and Buddy Christ
tap faucet.JPG
Thats a close up of the new tap (left) with the original (right)

If you have questions, just ask. This was really easy to do!

I know this thread is ancient, but I'm thinking of trying to make these mods to my current 2 1/2" tower. It seems like all of the inner and outer flanges that are packaged with a tower shank, and all of the flanges available individually are for 3" towers. Has anyone been able to find flanges for other diameter towers, or are other people just putting up with having gaps between the flanges and the towers (or filing the flanges down, or something)?

Sorry it took me so long to update, but I just used a 7/8" hole saw ($5.60 at the home depot) punched 2 holes in my existing tower, and added faucets using the kits that I posted before. Works awesome!!!! Oh, and I did manage to find dome 3/16" tubing as well, Its not thick walled like the beer line but its rated to 50PSI, and I hope to god I never have dispensing presures that high! no problems with foaming or anything. If you need any more detains, just ask! Ill post pictures when I finally upgrade :D

Hate to bump this post from '07, but I wanted to get some advice before drilling into my 2.5" tower!

I am about to add a second tap to my tower. I have a 1" bi-metal hole saw, do you think that will be appropriate for this shank?

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=234

Did you use a vice or something to hold the tower steady while drilling? I am thinking about drilling it in place mounted to the kegerator, but I am not sure. Any general advice on drilling that convex surface with my hole saw? Should I apply tons of pressure and low drill speed as per a step bit, or is there a different strategy for a hole saw?

Thank you!

Drill a smal (1/8") pilot hole first, Then use the hole saw. You need to hold it somehow so drilling it in place would be best if you don't have a vice.

Several years ago I added 2 more taps to my 2-1/2" tower and it works perfectly.

Drill a smal (1/8") pilot hole first, Then use the hole saw. You need to hold it somehow so drilling it in place would be best if you don't have a vice.

Several years ago I added 2 more taps to my 2-1/2" tower and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the tips. Do you think a 1" is going to be too big? Should I get a 7/8" instead?

IIRC, 7/8" is what you need. I drilled it 3/4" and used a ream to get to 7/8".

Latest posts

Back