To secondary or not to secondary, that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRChase

Reaction score
Your guidance would be appreciated.

I have a primary and secondary both full right now. Today I added another primary and brewed NB's Newcastle clone.

Next weekend I will bottle the Furious that is in the secondary, and rack the Mongoose to the secondary.

Should I rack the Nukey to the empty 6 gallon carboy, or buy another 5 gallon secondary, or just skip the secondary on the Nukey?

Dude - I'd love to have your problems. I've got two primaries and a bottling bucket. Never used a secondary.

Skip secondary. I'm a big supporter of three week primary then keg. Only time I use a secondary is if I'm adding something (vanilla, fruit, spices etc.)

Skip secondary. I'm a big supporter of three week primary then keg. Only time I use a secondary is if I'm adding something (vanilla, fruit, spices etc.)

+1. I've only used a secondary a couple times, once when I added something and once for a longer aging process. For a standard beer, I just don't think its worth it. I agree, three weeks in the primary then keg/bottle. Just my two cents.

His cooks do the brewing. I wonder if he makes the recipes? I don't secondary my average ales either. Not worth it to me. Just primary till stable & cleared. Then bottle away.

IF you want to secondary, either buy another 5 gallon carboy, or wait until the mongoose is bottled. moving the beer from the primary to a 6 gallon secondary will be too much head space if you do as you should , and wait until fermentation is done before racking to secondary. As has been posted a lot ( most?) do not use a secondary.. I do with every brew and I cold crash everything before kegging also...others don't. whatever works best for you is what works best for you...

I secondary almost all beers, but would not hesitate to skip the step...do both and decide which YOU are more comfortable with.

To Secondary? Or, not to Secondary? -- that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the Attenuation and Flocculation of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of little bubbles,
And by opposing end them (with Fermcap). To die, to Steep
No more...

- If Shakespeare was a homebrewer....

to secondary? Or, not to secondary? -- that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the attenuation and flocculation of outrageous fortune
or to take arms against a sea of little bubbles,
and by opposing end them (with fermcap). To die, to steep