Wyeast or White Labs? New to liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used both and the only reason I like Wyeast over White Labs is because Wyeast doesn't fizz up when I open. Wyeast is just easier to work with in my opinion.

A few other people mentioned it, but no one linked to it. White Labs gives you free stuff if you buy their yeast:

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_customerclub.html

That's honestly what has me coming back. I've used both brands, and I typically make starters or pitch on an old cake, so the number of cells per vial/pack and smack pack nutrients don't mean all too much to me. They both have very similar strains so you should be able to find just about whatever you want to brew from either company. My LHBS mostly carries Wyeast, but I buy from AHS/NB/MWS 9 times out of 10, so I have my choice either way.

Hmmm... .25 cents extra times ten vials = 2.50 for a vial of yeast down the road. This thrifty Scot might be changing his tune.

Liquid? Meh....

Fermentis, Notty, etc...

I only use liquid when I brew a Belgian, Scottish, or something that can benefit from a liquid.

These are NOT your father's dry yeasts! Try them! Bullet proof and fast!

After hearing people get good results with Nottingham I tried it in a round of beers lately, and I was pretty underwhelmed. It *worked*, it made beer and was easy to use, but it didn't have the nice mix of subtlety and complexity that I expect from an English strain. It did give some nice flavors on aging, but it's not quite there.

US05 is the only dry yeast I've used that holds a candle to wet yeast. That said, I mainly keep it around now as a backup.

Latest posts

Back