Element of Happiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I want my system to use a heating element and a ranco(is that right?) controller. I plan on cutting the top out of a 15 gallon keg and putting holes in the side of it to run a perminate copper coil in and a nice big heating element. This will be my HLT. I don't want to go 220V I just want to plug my stuff into the wall. I plan on having a min of 5 gallons in the keg but as much as 12, maybe 15. I want to do small 5 gallon batches as well as pushing the system a bit over the edge and doing close to 15 gallon batches when some friends want to chip in on a batch. I don't mind having 2 elements or more I just want something that's going to fit what I want the best. Also, shoud I drill hole(s) in the side of the keg for the element(s) or the bottom of the keg? As well as what heating elements to use what size of hole saw would I need? What other hardware would I need to get-r-done? Also, (and i'm not afraid of wiring stuff, just don't have much experience. I know to respect it however!) how would I go about wiring it? The more I read about steam injection the more I like it but I do not own a mig/tig welder, a stick welder or even an oxy/aceteline(i know that's not how you spell it, sorry) torch yet... YET!!! someday. Man, this hobby is making me learn useable traits. If i'm not careful i'll need a metal lathe too!

Back