Extract kit fermentation instructions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyevil

Reaction score
My Robust Porter says after 4-6 days I can expect bubbling to slow/stop. Then they either recommend moving it to secondary for a couple weeks, or basically racking after 48 hours of no bubbles...

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1031_Robust_Porter.pdf

Questions:
1. If it's ready to rack after say 5-7 days, why would they tell me to move it to a secondary with no CO2 production at that point.

2. I plan on just leaving it in the primary to condition. I figured at least a week past when I start getting solid gravity ratings. Perhaps two, but since this is my first I'm sure I'll get impatient.

Thoughts?

Here are the bubbles 4 days after yeast was pitched. For full disclosure, the wort was 60 deg F when I pitched the yeast, so they may have not been very happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can leave it in primary for two-three weeks, and then just rack to a bottling bucket, skipping the secondary (more properly called a "clearing vessel" or "bright tank").

The whole primary/secondary thing is based on old techniques and not really necessary for the best product.

Once the SG readings don't change after at least three days, the beer is safe to bottle. I like to wait a while so that any "stuff" still in suspension in the beer falls out so that there is less crud that ends up in the bottles. Two to three weeks after brewing is usually a good time to plan to bottle.

Back