filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwetherford

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice on the best way to filter my beer. Its my first and its nowhere near done yet I just need to know how to get only(mostly) only beer into my bottles and kegs instead of the trub and other gunk like the hops

Let the beer sit in primary till it gets down to FG,then let it settle out to a slight haze. Then rack to bottling bucket with priming solution,& bottle. Place bottles in a sturdy box with cover flaps to keep the light from skunking the beer.
Let'em sit for a minimum of 3 weeks at room temp. Then 4-6 days in the fridge till the chill haze settles out. The little dusting of settled yeast on the bottom of the bottle will be compacted tighter at this point.
And your beer will be crystal clear,with no filters. Filters take the yeast out,since breweries force carb anyway.

Let the beer sit in primary till it gets down to FG,then let it settle out to a slight haze. Then rack to bottling bucket with priming solution,& bottle. Place bottles in a sturdy box with cover flaps to keep the light from skunking the beer.
Let'em sit for a minimum of 3 weeks at room temp. Then 4-6 days in the fridge till the chill haze settles out. The little dusting of settled yeast on the bottom of the bottle will be compacted tighter at this point.
And your beer will be crystal clear,with no filters. Filters take the yeast out,since breweries force carb anyway.

I agree with not filtering.

But if you want to filter, what I would do is to rack the finished beer into a carboy and chill down to 32f for a few days. Filter this into a keg and carbonate to your desired carbonation level. Then you can counter pressure fill your sediment free beer into bottles and cap.
If you filter, you remove most of the yeast that you would need to carbonate your beer with. So then you would need to carbonate with CO2. I have everything I need to do filtering and don't bother as I feel it strips some flavour out of the beer and also COULD introduce O2 into the beer which could cause premature staleing of the beer.
Just not worth it IMO. I get reasonably clear beer by just letting time and cold take care of it, and the little bit of sediment I get, I put up with.

I used to filter my beer with those paper filters used to filter wine. Worked amazingly well, and if you only use 5 micron you could probably still naturally carbonate. But its way to much work, so now i get the same clarity with gelatin.

I get it with a high flocculation yeast,& time in primary. More time in bottles at room temp,then fridge time to compact the yeast settlings more.

Racking your beer is definitely the way to go. I like to rack when putting it in secondary, and then a couple more times also just for good measure. I'll rack to secondary, let it settle for a couple days, then rack again if there is settlement. 2 days later, I'll repeat and do this about 3-4 times, especially with a light beer.

Racking your beer is definitely the way to go. I like to rack when putting it in secondary, and then a couple more times also just for good measure. I'll rack to secondary, let it settle for a couple days, then rack again if there is settlement. 2 days later, I'll repeat and do this about 3-4 times, especially with a light beer.

Ya...after iv racked that much i have 50 gallons of beer kegged.

I wouldn't rack that much. If you're lucky,& it doesn't get oxidized,you still loose a little beer volume every time you do. Just let it sit in primary 3 weeks or more,then in bottles 3 weeks,then 4-6 days in the fridge to clear even more. Less waste.

What's the point. Just gives more opportunity for contamination and aerating the finished beer.

And by racking you mean just siphoning out of the middle of the beer??? And also what's the easiest and cheapest way to keg your beer?

And also what's the easiest and cheapest way to keg your beer?

The cheapest would be something like the Tap A Draft system, the easiest would be a simple soda keg setup. The TAD system will easily fit into a refrigerator, the soda keg requires a spare fridge.

Do you guys know where a cheap place to get the soda kegs and the tapping system from is I plan on making a 3 or 4 tap kegerator so I didn't know if there's better than like keg works

I think i saw pinlock kegs on morebeers site for like 25 bucks, they might even ship them for free.

Oh and also what's the deifference between pin lock and ball pin kegs besides oneused to have pepsi in it and one had coke lol

Pinlocks have little pins that hold the disconnect on, they are also shorter and fatter. Balllock have balls and a springloaded mechanism to hold them. I sometimes prefer the pins to be honest, no mistaking which is gas and liquid, liquid has three pins, gas has two.

There cheaper too which is very cool lol anyone have a very cool kegerator or home draft set up?

Heres mine, nothing to fancy, does the job. I have another faucet to put on but i need to sort out the gas line into the fridge.

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

Thats some american ale 2 in pint jars. 4th generation if im not mistaken. I dont wash it, i just swirl the yeast cake really good, let settle for 20 mins or something then fill up a few pint jars. Each jar goes to another 10 gallon batch.

Back