The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yawn........ Spectator sports just don't do it for me, but at least Soccer has action unlike American Football where there is 15 seconds of action followed by 15 minutes of analysis and instant replay, cheer leaders jumping around, etc. If I had to choose a sport and actually watch it, it would be soccer, or rugby, or hockey..... sports that don't put you to sleep!! Give me a rifle or a pair of cross country skis, or a kayak, a fishing pole, a hang glider, a sail boat, or just a pair of hiking boots,........... For me sports are something you do, not something you watch..... kind of like sex! ;-) You wanna come over and help me cut up my elk and have a few homebrews?

H.W.

LA better be buying Pineido a drink. Dude has bailed them out of 2 fantastic chances (really 3)

LA is the happier of the 2 teams for the win, but a 1-0 isn't bad for Seattle. Especially not with their homefield advantage.

Yeah, Penedo has been an absolute beast since the beginning of October. The double-save he had on Sunday had me jumping!

1-0 isn't terrible and I wish LA had more of a cushion. But all the G's have to do is score one goal (push for it the first 30 minutes) and Seattle is pretty well effed.

"You wanna come over and help me cut up my elk and have a few homebrews?"

Yes, as a matter of fact I do! You're not in W. WA. by chance?

It's bloody cold here today. Clear as a bell and still as can be. That ball is going to be rock hard and ice cold. Frei is use to it having been in TO for awhile. We need that 2-0!

Here we go SOUNDERS!

Stid.jpg

Maybe the sounders should of taken some of the money they gave Dempsey & planted grass on there pitch.

Good match. Seattle was the better side but LA got the result they needed, not much to separate the 2 over the 2 games so it could have gone either way.

It was a great run. The away goal giveth and taketh away. Good luck LA

This MLS season has been absolutely phenomenal. I'm a Union fan, so I'm getting a little frustrated at the continued mediocrity, but as a whole the league is really doing itself proud.

I'm also a huge Tottenham Hotspur fan - have been for a little over 15 years now. Massive, massive game tomorrow.

And, finally, I'm a Yank through and through. I haven't been to a US match in far too long, but I blame that on my and my wife's decision to start a family! Soon enough, though...

US soccer matches are bliss.

Is Yedlin going to TOtenham now? Or is it still waiting? I hope he plays. But I'm concerned.

There's still talk that he'll go in January, but if Kyle Walker comes back healthy from this long-term injury he's had, then there's no huge rush. Plus, there's still uncertainty over whether he can get a work permit (assuming he can't get a Latvian passport).

If he doesn't go in January, he'll be there for he start of next season. He'll have stiff competition in Walker, but they're very similar players and could be moved in and out of he lineup without be team missing a beat. Spurs play plenty of cup games, too, so he'd have plenty of chances to play.

I expect Yedlin to play, but I wish he'd go somewhere where he started all the time to hone his defensive side. PHysically he's impressively gifted. He's as fast and high stamina as anyone in the world. He needs to hone his defensive side, or even if he goes Gareth Bale and move into a wing role he needs to learn to be more creative and talented offensively.

Jebus, how have I not posted here yet?!

OOOOOO CAMPEONE! THE ONE AND ONLY! THE GALAXY!
THEY SAY OUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED, WE WON'T BE THE CHAMPS NO MORE!
BUT LA RULES THIS COUNTRY LIKE WE'VE ALWAYS DONE BEFORE!

Sorry, I'm still giddy. But damn, Seattle. You guys had me terrified. Here was the progression of my household on gameday:
- Pre-match: Everybody excited any chatting up about the prospects ahead

- First 15 minutes: Yelling at the TV, high levels of enthusiasm

- 26': Yells of frustration followed shortly by trying to calm ourselves down. "It's okay, they just need one..."

- 32': F**k. And the place was silent

- Rest of 1st half: Silence spattered by occasionally yelling. This was me...
marshall.jpg

- Start of 2nd half: Cautious optimism encouraged by forward attacking play.

- 54': Complete explosion, running around the room, terrible high-fives

- Rest of the match:
sheldon-hyperventilating-big-bang-theory.gif

- Any time Seattle got the ball in their attacking-third:
tumblr_n7dybpes751sapkf6o1_250.gif

But seriously, vicious competition from the Sounders. And kudos to the fans for still showing support in the waning minutes.

It's taken me about a week to even talk about. It was bloody cold and a six o'clock game on Sunday is brutal. In my opinion there were some ****ty calls on penalties but it was hard to tell from where we were. They don't play too many replay's except for goals at the stadium so it's hard to know what happened and I doubt I can watch that again.

I haven't quite grasped the new points system and it's hard to win and lose at the same time. Anyway, it was a blast and I couldn't talk much the next day.

Good match though!

Rough spell for Southampton, losing to Burnley.

Went from 2nd and 4 back from Chelsea, to being 5th in the table. A Manchester United win tomorrow, would start the top 3 separating from the pack.

Rough spell for Southampton, losing to Burnley.

Yeah, a poor run was always expected, but that doesn't stop it hurting. Losing against Arsenal and Manure was no surprise, and was even unlucky as the games panned out. The game against Burnley though was a total let down. The Saints just never turned up for it, missed a penalty and were dire overall.

Oh well, onwards and upwards! Or downwards, maybe sideways. Who knows!! :fro:

Any of you guys play Football manager? Maybe it's called soccer manager here, I dunno. It's pretty bloody awesome.
Yeah it's Football Manager here as well. And it's freaking amazing. My favorite part about the game is the fact that somebody got a job as manager at a 4th-tier (I think) club in England due to his savant-like skills at FM.

http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2200324/headline

Beasley retiring, Wonder if he gets a sendoff game, doesn't mention it. I hope he does, He's earned it as much as landycakes did.
Muy triste :( He definitely deserves a sendoff game. WHERE ARE ALL OF OUR WC2002 HEROES GOING?! Arrrggg, my childhood... right in the feels...

My all time favorite player retired today.
Sort of thought he had another season in him.
Titi will indeed be missed. Not even remotely a fan of NYRB but I got excited knowing a big play would happen pretty much every time he gots a touch at the top of the 18.

Muy triste :( He definitely deserves a sendoff game. WHERE ARE ALL OF OUR WC2002 HEROES GOING?! Arrrggg, my childhood... right in the feels....

What's more intriguing to me is if Howard retires and assuming Dempsey can't have a go, there will be no one from 2006, hell looking at 2010 the only almost locks are Bradley, Guzan and Altidore. Though amybe someone like Edu or Holden may get themselves in the mix again.

"Note... to... self.... tell... Arena... about... Southampton... youth."

I don't think the Galaxy could afford them. I hope Southampton turns their attention to recruiting some Yanks. I've been looking at their system and they do a good job. Fulham also seems to be doing a good job, Emerson Hyndman is the best player no one is talking about who could be in the Gold Cup squad.

US looks to have a pretty strong Olympic squad, guys who'll be 23 and under next summer who've been called up to the senior squad. Green, Zelalem, Morris, Rubin, Brooks, Cropper, Yedlin, Packwood, O'Neill, Gil, Hyndman, and some others to likely be added. Lots of promising guys who'll be right aroudn 23 which is good cause they'll be right around 25 come WC time.

The good news for the gunners is yaya is off in Africa. They havnt won a game in over a year when he doesn't play.

MLS Talk anybody?

- #LampardGate
- #PetkeGate
- Gerrard going to LA
- Altidore paid extravagant amounts to go to TFC
- Giovinco very likely on his was to TFC

This isn't silly season, this is crazy season!

MLS Talk anybody?

- #LampardGate
- #PetkeGate
- Gerrard going to LA
- Altidore paid extravagant amounts to go to TFC
- Giovinco very likely on his was to TFC

This isn't silly season, this is crazy season!

Giovinco is on his way to TFC

Altidore is gonna score a whole lot in MLS. He would have done better in England if Sunderland gave him more of a shot.

I'm shocked NYRB didn't go after Jozy, I mean I get it that they have a designated striker, but with Henry gone why not switch up the formation? Especially since Jozy was originally a Metrostar.

I'm glad Jozy went to TFC. Hopefully Jozy and Bradley form a rapport to improve the national team play.

Lampard is bad, it's bad for MLS. That being said, NYCFC got Mix to tide them over. When he pairs up with Lampard things will get interesting as they're both more attacking style midfielders. Could create an issue.

Hoping South Hampton & West Ham make CL

One may, both won't. City and Chelsea should walk into champions. United will struggle a bit but I expect a late season surge from them to get in the mix for top spot. I think Southampton will battle with Arsenal for the 4th spot with maybe SPurs in that mix as well. West Ham is likely to finish well below that.

Back