How do you go about cask conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercheer4me

Reaction score
I want to make a goose inland imperail brown with a hint of burbin,but with out the wooden keg ,,,,,,l is their some wooden chips,or flavoring I can put in the fermation?
On the lines of a burbon cass ale.
Thanks for the reply

You're thinking of barrel aging, not cask conditioning. Cask ale is when you put a mostly fermented beer into a wooden serving barrel and allow the final stages of fermentation to create a slight carbonation. There's no co2 or priming sugar added to create the carbonation.

In order to barrel age something, you'll need to soak oak chips in bourbon for a few weeks and add them to your secondary fermentor. I usually soak my chips for 2-3 weeks, then I strain the whiskey and dry the chips. I do this because otherwise I feel like the bourbon tends to overpower the beer.

I let the beer age on the oak chips (usually about 4oz per 5 gallons) for anywhere from 2 weeks to a few months depending on how much oak/bourbon flavor I'm looking for.

Latest posts

Back