Im still learning but now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I was reading on some recipes in the "bank" and came across some that call for a protein rest. Why is a protein rest necessary and is it true for only some types of beer?

I have come across some recipes that call for aprotein rest but do not give you a time duration for the protein rest. How does one figure out how long the protein rest is if not included in the recipe?

Thanks for the help
Joe

Using a protein rest isn't really neccissary for most malts. Most malts made today are modified enough to not need it.

However, when using things like Flaked wheat, oats, rye, or barley in high amounts...a protein rest can help. Some of the German malts produced today still need a protein rest because they're not as highly modified. It will help to reduce chill haze and promote a better head on the beer by breaking down larger proteins.

I always do a protein rest on anything with larger amounts of Pilsner malts or other lighter german malts. Wheat beers I don't bother with because they'll be hazy anyway.

A protein rest can be anywhere from 113-131F but most people aim for around 120-130. I prefer mine at 122. Also, 20-30 minutes is fine for most protein rests.

Make sure you don't do protein rests on highly modified malts as it will leave you with a watery beer.

Back