Anchor Steam mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
I was looking in [SIZE=-1]Szamatulski's Clone Brews book at an Anchor Steam clone that uses 9 lbs. US 2-row and 14 oz of crystal malt for the grainbill. What gets me is that the book recommends a protein rest at 122 for 30 minutes and conversion at 150 for 90 minutes. Seems like this would make a pretty dry, lightbodied beer, maybe even too much so.[/SIZE] Wyeast 2112 California Lager is the recommended yeast. Does anyone who has cloned Steam have any comments on this mash schedule? I'm sure the finished product would turn out just fine with it but it just got my attention.

captaineriv

I'm not sure that you need a 90 minute conversion even if you're looking for a dry product. I'd probably cut that down to 60 minutes or maybe even 45. The crystal should give you the body/sweetness you're after.

Then again...I'm really new to the all grain gig.

The 90 minutes definitely seemed completely unnecessary to me as well. I'm also wondering how important that protein rest is with well-modified 2-row. Think he recommends it just to reduce haze? Anchor Steam does tend to be brilliantly clear. I'm sure the super high floc yeast aids in that too.

captaineriv

I would lean towards skipping the protein rest. You can get brilliantly clear beer by conditioning it well or filtration. Most literature I've referenced indicates that a protein rest is, for the most part, detrimental with well modified grains.

I think Anchor does a 2 hour mash. Thats probably why it calls for it in the clone. I wouldnt though, just a normal 60@150 should work.

Ive made that recipe and it looks very much like the OG, but it wanst as hoppy. The key to anchor steam is to dry hop ALOT of fresh N brewer. (I used 2 oz. and its aroma was weak next to a real anchor steam.)

The California lager strain does not attenuate too well. Last time I made a steam beer I mashed at 146 for 80 minutes. I pitched at an approximate rate of 1M cells / mL / degree plato and fermented at 61 degrees.

The FG on the beer was 1.013.

I brewed my California Common Yesterday. It's pretty much just your run of the mill single infusion mash. 60 minutes at 150F in the mash, and a 90 minute boil. I use the San Francisco Lager (WLP810).

I agree with the Baron in so far as the protein rest being a waste of time in this case since you (I'll assume) are likely using highly modified malt (like most of us). :)

glibbidy said:
I agree with the Baron in so far as the protein rest being a waste of time in this case since you (I'll assume) are likely using highly modified malt (like most of us). :)

I was hoping this would be the case. Thanks guys.

captaineriv

Latest posts

Back