Longest ALE can be stored...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djm3801

Reaction score
I have not brewed for a few years and am getting the bug again. However, while cleaning the basement, and going to my old empties, I found out I had 2 cases of some dark stuff mixed in among the empties. These have been in the basement and in the dark for at least 5 years. I hardly need a glass of ale bad enough to try it, but I was wondering what is the longest you can store a home brew before it MUST be tossed. This stuff has no preservatives....

I opened a bottle and smelled it and took a tiny sip - it did not smell bad at all. Tasted a little bitter. it was a stout, I think...

Dan M

Have a Whole one and get back to us, it seems like your the man in the right position to answer the question. My beers never make it past a month.

Stored in a cool dark place, a nice heavy stout should be good for a couple years. It all comes back to, if it tastes ok it is.

You'll be able to taste it best if not too cold. I often let ale sit poured for an hour out of the fridge before drinking it.

On Dec. 24th, I'll be drinking the last bottle of a Belgian Christmas Ale that I made in 1996. It has gotten better every year so far, wish there was more.

Yes - I usually open the bottle and pour it. I drink it sort of slowly. Crisp and more bitter when cold, more sweet and malty as it warms.

Back