Need help with Munton's kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:confused:I purchased 2 Muntons extract kits (Canadian Style and Light American) along with my first beer making kit equipment (2 buckets and etc...) I did not have the opportunity to read the directions of these kits prior to purchase. Now I am reading on the instructions that these are no boil kits? So does anyone have a recipe that would work for boiling? I have a variety of hops to add as well as liquid unhopped malt extract. I was hoping that these Muntons kits would be a little more versatile and challenging than just a larger version of the Mr. Beer kits which I have done already. Any suggestions/ideas or references would be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping to produce some decent beer for my rehersal dinner/cookout in 7 weeks.

Thanks,

Mick

Spent some time this morning reading more about these kits and it looks like they are definitely non-boil. Thus, I am going to look to purchase a few more "advanced kits" in the next few days. If you have any recommedations for kits making beer on the lighter side that is suitable for a large family gathering let me know...

I think Brewer's Best makes a "American Micro Light" that would be good for a big mixed group of people.

My favorite kits have come from a couple of online suppliers. check out these:
NORTHERN BREWER: Ale Kits (Extract)
and these: Austin Homebrew Supply or Austin Homebrew Supply

Almost any beer you can think of is there! A couple of things to keep in mind- lagers are generally more advanced and require cold temperature control, so unless you have a lager set up, stick with ales. Also, dry yeast is quick and easy, so Nottingham yeast, S-04 and S-05 will do just fine until you have more experience. Stay away from cheaper dry yeast like Munton's, and you'll do well with dry yeast.

Also, dry yeast is quick and easy, so Nottingham yeast, S-04 and S-05 will do just fine until you have more experience. Stay away from cheaper dry yeast like Munton's, and you'll do well with dry yeast.

I do have to say though, I haven't found Cooper's yeast to be too bad in a pinch. I haven't tried Munton's as I've heard nothing good about it. Not really disagreeing with Yooper here, just noting that not all "cheap" yeasts are necessarily terrible. However, throw Mr. Beer yeast in the garbage immediately lest it inadvertently finds its way into your brew!!!!

Latest posts

Back