Burn One Down Rauchbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khiddy

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1007 - German Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 28.0
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 21
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days in Keg @ 65
Tasting Notes: Aiming for a mildly smoky rauchbier, but not bitter (thus the de-bittered Carafa III)

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
39% 4 0 Smoked Malt info 37 9
29% 3 0 Vienna Malt info 36 3
29% 3 0 Caramunich Malt 33 33
2% 0 4 Carafa III 32 525
10 4

Boil 60 mins 1.5OZ Tettnang pellet 5.1%AA
Boil 30 mins 0.5OZ Tettnang pellet 5.1%AA
Post-Boil 1.0OZ Saaz pellet 4.0%AA

1/4tsp Irish Moss @ 10min

Mash 4 gallons at 151*F for 60 minutes, mashout at 172 with 8 qts 212*F water. Sparge with 3.5 gallons @ 172*F to collect 7 gallons of runnings.

Brewing it on Friday, 5/29. The grains arrived last week from BMW, but the yeast was wrong in the package, so I had to postpone. The replacement yeast arrived today, and so it's on for my next brew. I can't wait to smell the mash, to be honest. I had a bottle of the Aecht Schlenkerla Weizen a few weeks ago, and it was delicious, so I hope this recipe of mine turns out OK!

I will post photos and progress reports. This will be my 3rd AG brew.

Does "Burn One Down Rauchbier" and "mildly smokey" really make sense together?

I would have expected 60% or more to be smoked malt with a name like that.

I brewed this on Saturday, and the day went pretty well. I got 75% efficiency, and the mash smelled marvelously smoky! I gave it a 70 minute boil, and cooled it down to 80*F before pouring into my conical fermenter. I let it sit overnight before I pitched the yeast - my activator pack hadn't swelled, and I hadn't had time to make a starter, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't kill any surviving yeasties with high temperature. Pitched yeast the next morning at 72*F. 48 hours later, the airlock started bubbling, and we're off to the races!

conpewter, the name for this beer is a phrase that my friends and I use to describe the fire pit in my backyard. When we make plans to have a fire, we say we're gonna "Burn One Down". And the aroma from the mash really reminded me of what my clothes smell like the next morning, so I might have the right proportions here. Time will tell!

Back