BIB shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
I am interested in mixing my own soda from BIBs. Once I open a bib, does it need refrigeration? Does it spoil? I imagine a box of syrup would be a great place for bacteria to grow. Can it be re-sealed? What do you do? I imagine 1 bib would last me at least a year if I have more than one flavor going.

I am interested in mixing my own soda from BIBs. Once I open a bib, does it need refrigeration? Does it spoil? I imagine a box of syrup would be a great place for bacteria to grow. Can it be re-sealed? What do you do? I imagine 1 bib would last me at least a year if I have more than one flavor going.

At least a year past the expiration date and probably longer. As long as you don't let air in then it should be very shelf stable. Worst case scenario is that it starts to taste bad. I spoke with an employee of Coca-Cola that uses the expired product at home becuase it is free to him and he has boxes that are over a year old.

If you are concerned look into the 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon BIB.

Back