Am I a beer snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Went to my nieces weddding this weekend in kalamazoo, mi. I figured they had to be serving some tasty bells at the reception, nope, Bud or miller light.
I tried not to be a beer snob, and got a bud, I could only choke down about half a glass. Tried a 7&7 that wasnt doing it either.

I was saved by the reception place having a brew pub downstairs. I paid for my beer all night. Sucked down way too may Oval Beach Blonde Ales, and and a few Shorts Soft Parades.

Does paying for good beer when there is BMC free, make me a beer snob?

I got to see one of my sisters that lives out of state that I dont see very often and she was not liking the BMC so she went down to the pub with me and we got to talk for a while so that was pretty cool. We talked the bartender in letting us take the rest of the beers upsatirs so we would miss any more of the reception.

No, paying for what you would rather enjoy doesn't make you a snob. If you were to thumb your nose at people who enjoyed the free beer because that's what THEY want, that's where the snob part comes in. I only know a few folks like that, we all know one. I would rather people ask me why I drink what I do, and introduce them to craft beer that way, versus making fun of them for what they drink. I too drank BMC beers for many years. I've not forgotten.

For what it's worth, I'm amazed they didn't have Bells' at that reception. I mean, it's local!!! People should support local brews if nothing else.

Went to my nieces weddding this weekend in kalamazoo, mi. I figured they had to be serving some tasty bells at the reception, nope, Bud or miller light.
I tried not to be a beer snob, and got a bud, I could only choke down about half a glass. Tried a 7&7 that wasnt doing it either.

I was saved by the reception place having a brew pub downstairs. I paid for my beer all night. Sucked down way too may Oval Beach Blonde Ales, and and a few Shorts Soft Parades.

I got to see one of my sisters that lives out of state that I dont see very often and she was not liking the BMC so she went down to the pub with me and we got to talk for a while so that was pretty cool. We talked the bartender in letting us take the rest of the beers upsatirs so we would miss any more of the reception.

Just because you don't like Bud doesn't make you a beer snob.
Looking down your nose at people because of their choice of drink would make you a beer snob. If someone offered you a Bud and you turned your nose up at them you would be a beer snob.
You were respectful and at least tried to drink one, kudos to you.

Trying to piece together where that reception was, or rather the brew pub...was it Epic Bistro? Old peninsula? To be fair a keg of Bells is considerably more expensive than a BMC keg and it would cater to more people than craft beer. Its a safe choice. But no you are not a beer snob IMO. I've done the same thing when trying to get a nice single malt scotch to celebrate the occasion.

At least you tried to drink the bud instead of going straight down stairs. I would have done the same.

Trying to piece together where that reception was, or rather the brew pub...was it Epic Bistro? Old peninsula? To be fair a keg of Bells is considerably more expensive than a BMC keg and it would cater to more people than craft beer. Its a safe choice. But no you are not a beer snob IMO. I've done the same thing when trying to get a nice single malt scotch to celebrate the occasion.

Actually the wedding was in Kalamazoo, the reception was in plainwell. At Eesley mill. Its an old flour mill that they refurbished. The upstairs is a banquet area, sort of rustic, but had a really cool vibe. Downstairs was a pub and grill. Its two separate business according to the bartender, so it was cool of him to let us take the glasses upstairs with us. I made sure I brought every one back downstairs.

At least you tried to drink the bud instead of going straight down stairs. I would have done the same.

I use to drink bud light alot, and still do occasionally while golfing. With all the craftbrews that are so good now its hard not to want those over the bmc that was offered.

We tried not to make a big deal about it. I think the only people that knew were my wife, me, and my sister.

Plus I got to try two beers I hadn't tried before.

I wrote this last year. It's so rare to find a catering hall that even thinks about beer beyond the cheapest beer/wine/liquor they can be provided. (But it's particularly annoying when it's in a building that has better options under the same roof)

I think the best beer I've ever seen at a traditional catering hall has been Sam Adams.

but no, that's not being a beer snob. Glad you got to take the beer back with you too, win-win there.

Our hotel was within walking distance of the Bells general store, I dropped about a hundred bucks in there. Got some tap handles, signage, pint glasses and a 22oz bottle of the Golden Rye Ale, it a hand numbered bottle, you can only buy there or get at the restuarant.

A bunch of people thought I was a snob at a wedding a couple weeks ago. All they had was vodka (top shelf, mind you), Bud, Bud Select, a red and white wine. I did the same thing as you. Went downstairs to the bar and paid for my drinks all night. People kept asking where I was getting my whiskey and when I told them I went downstairs and paid for it, they acted like I thought I was better than everyone when in reality I just don't drink vodka because everyone knows that clear liquors are for rich women on diets.

Nothing wrong with that. It's your choice, drink what you want. I don't look down on people but if there is better stuff around, why not?

Have to agree with everyone here. Paying for something you'll enjoy rather than choking down the free stuff and being miserable is certainly not being a snob. It's only when you put other people down (whether it's to their face, behind their back, or only in your mind) for what they enjoy that you become a snob. Drink what you like and like what you drink, and don't worry about what anyone else likes.

Nothin wrong with vodka. I don't have that western cowboy mentality that says bourbon is "sneakin whisky" for those you described. Dito with vodka. But a good Russian or dutch vodka is all too easily compelling. & doesn't grab your throut or have a residual smell. Plus it goes with whatever I'm drinking.
But I'll drink whatever is offered in the way of beer. Unless it's something that doesn't taste to my liking. Sounds like that was your dillema. No harm,no foul.
I remember at our reception back in '77,I had all kinds od wash & 2 mixed cases of lquor. And sveral cases of Weidaman beer layered up with ice in a clean garbage can. All were happy,including my Persian buddy's mother,who came all the way from Iran to share the moment. That was cool. And her eggplant & beef stew was stupendous! Wish I could've gotten the recipe for that one.

mlyday said:
I use to drink bud light alot, and still do occasionally while golfing. With all the craftbrews that are so good now its hard not to want those over the bmc that was offered.

We tried not to make a big deal about it. I think the only people that knew were my wife, me, and my sister.

Plus I got to try two beers I hadn't tried before.

I drink bud light all the time, but can't stand regular Budweiser. I'm always down for new beers so thats cool you got I try a couple new ones you never have. I just found a liquor store by my house that has over 400 diff craft beers. It's crazy going in there talk about decision overload.

Have to agree, the snob part is being intolerant of other people's choices. Unless of course, you are a true S.N.O.B. We're special.

(Supporter of Native Oregon Beer)

Word man. The beer coolers at the local Giant Eagle are tending that way. The have yet a couple more new craft beers in there. Talk about mental overload,data overflow....:drunk: Makes me feel like NOMAD sometimes "error? Error? MUST ANYLIZE EERRRRORRRR...EEERRRORRRRR EEEERRRRROOOOORRRR!!!!"...

Hey if it's free...I'm down with it. Can't kick ya for payin for what you like though; if it were me I'da guzzled a couple Buds then went and paid for something.

I don't have a problem with BMC, when my buds are over I buy loads of it, they like it better and it saves me money, (and my home brew stash). Oh and I should mention all my buds work in the oilfields with me so trust me when I say they can put some brews away in a hurry. I drink it sometimes if for no other reason than to remind me of why I like craft beers so much.

The only time I turn into a real beer snob is when I hear 2 idiots arguing about which one of the 3 they like best....as if they could taste the difference!!

If you don't like the taste of BMC, then many people would consider you to be a beer snob. Very silly. Am I supposed to say I like something when I really don't? I can drink it. I just choose not to unless there is no other option.

I don't like Taco Bell beef burritos, but no one has ever called me a burrito snob.

Why beer drinkers take this so personally is beyond me.

mlyday said:

Faulting others for liking BMC would make you a beer snob. If so shame on you. If not you are not a snob

How about when someone says negative things about BMC?

For example: that BMC beer is swill / cat pee / etc.

Is that a beer snob?

doctorRobert said:
what the hell does that even mean... you sound like you want to be a beer snob.

How does that make him sound like a beer snob? If he had said Bells Two Hearted, would that make him sound like a beer snob?

after researching what places charge for good brew such as bells for my own wedding I can fully understand having BMC only. on that note I self caterd. provided a mix of BMC because thats what the crowd invited would prefer, and frankly on a hot day I will go for some highlife had some homebrew out, and had a special cooler for the head table with some founders all day ipa :) I swear founders finally found there light session beer to combat oberon.

and atleast it wasn't a dry wedding...my best mate from highschool married some baptist chick...not a ounce booze on the premise

While I think I could have managed with a Miller Light or two - had I known about the pub downstairs, I definitely would have opted for that. You drink what you like, and as long as you're not making a scene at the wedding about how much their beer sucks blah blah blah - you're good to go.

doctorRobert said:
what the hell does that even mean... you sound like you want to be a beer snob.

I am also confused by this. They are beers by Saugatuck Brewing and Shorts Brewing

I’m a beer snob. I honestly think most people would prefer bigger beers if they would only give them a chance.

Then again a lot of people want something cold enough to make their teeth hurt that they can pound for a few hours without getting too wasted.

My brother went to a German restaurant with a clueless BMC buddy. Brother ordered a Beck’s, buddy didn’t have any idea.
“What’s the closest you have to Bud Light?”
“I could bring you a glass of water.”

I’m a beer snob. I honestly think most people would prefer bigger beers if they would only give them a chance.

Then again a lot of people want something cold enough to make their teeth hurt that they can pound for a few hours without getting too wasted.

My brother went to a German restaurant with a clueless BMC buddy. Brother ordered a Beck’s, buddy didn’t have any idea.

Yep, you are.

I was lucky that the last wedding I attended was held at a local winery. They poured alot of great wines and the primary beer on tap was Fat Tire. I don't remember seeing more than a few guests wandering around with BMC bottles.

Wynne-R said:

Becks was the best he could get at a German restaurant?

There you go! Embrace your snobbery. Just don’t be an ass about it.

I don’t try to tell anyone what to drink, but I think they should keep their options open.

You can’t tell if you like it if you never tried it.

Spreadin’ the news, one beer at a time . . .

On the other hand, your niece invited you to a once-in-a-lifetime social event centered around the public celebration of her new life with her beloved. The refreshments were just the sideshow.

I know I'm in the minority here, but it's my feeling (which is mine) that going outside of the reception to get drinks would be kind of an affront to the hospitality of the hosts.

I guess that's more of an etiquette answer than a beer snobbery answer, and I can't say that I would not have done exactly what you did, but I would feel kind of bad about doing it. Especially if word got back to the hosts.

I'm a beer snob. I also don't give a **** if others grief me for it. That's your problem, not mine.

OP: Stop caring about what others think.

Heres the problem with being a beer snob, and being a jerk about it, it limits. Because you derive strict specifications on what beer has to be, it limits your experiences, and it scares others off who might not have as much exposure to craft beers as well. Part of the reason I was first drawn to the scene, was that it was accessible and people were just happy to have different beer options. Conversely thats why I don't really care for the wine scene. I find it intimidating, and I know more than the average consumer about wine since I bartended at an upscale restaurant. But people can be so *****ey about it.

Back