how much sun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrStrangeBrew

Reaction score
how much sun do hops need a day like what is the lowest and what is too much? ive been in the process of moving and trying to do a transplant of cascade and fuggles that i had in the ground at my former residence. and now at the new place im at there is working being down so this year i cant plant them anywhere in the ground so just trying to find the best spot for them with the limited space i have. Also how big of a pot should i be using to keep them in temporarily for a season? they are cascade, fuggle, mt hood, and nugget. 3 3 3 4 respectively. any help would be much appreciated as i am freaking out cause i dont wana get started to late.

Full Sun. At least 8 hours of direct sun exposure per day.

But, they are vigorous enough that even if only 50% of the vine gets said exposure they will still thrive. They will just be slower to emerge or continue growth until they reach the sun.

Too little light and they won't bloom.

Too hot and they will respire all their moisture faster than they can draw it up.

If they're 3 and 4 years old you'll need pretty big containers - think half of a 55 gal drum per plant (temporary) with good drainage. They prefer full sun but will pretty much grow anywhere. I have one growing at the base of a 60 foot Norway Spruce and last year it grew way beyond the 10 foot pole it was on. How well will it do in full sun? I don't think you'll have any problems getting them to grow in pots - but being as big as they are they'll most likely be just 'surviving' this year being in cramped quarters. Give it a go and let us know the results.

If they're 3 and 4 years old you'll need pretty big containers - think half of a 55 gal drum per plant (temporary) with good drainage. They prefer full sun but will pretty much grow anywhere. I have one growing at the base of a 60 foot Norway Spruce and last year it grew way beyond the 10 foot pole it was on. How well will it do in full sun? I don't think you'll have any problems getting them to grow in pots - but being as big as they are they'll most likely be just 'surviving' this year being in cramped quarters. Give it a go and let us know the results.

no i wasnt referring to age i meant thats how many i have of each. sorry should have been more specific :drunk: anyways im glad you spoke up because im a mechanic and im staring at 2 empty 55gal steel drums that i have been trying to get rid of for months. i didnt even think to use them as pots!! for drainage should i drill a bunch of small holes on the bottom or just a few big ones? maybe pile some rocks at the bottom? that sound good for drainage or are there better options?

Full Sun. At least 8 hours of direct sun exposure per day.

But, they are vigorous enough that even if only 50% of the vine gets said exposure they will still thrive. They will just be slower to emerge or continue growth until they reach the sun.

Too little light and they won't bloom.

Too hot and they will respire all their moisture faster than they can draw it up.

well the few places i was looking had pretty much full sunlight but only for about 4 - 6 hours depending on the spot. but since now that your saying even a partial part of the vine gets sun then ill be good so it mite be even longer once they get taller!

Unless you are in a very hot place with dry air, like a desert, you should try and give it as much sun as it can get. However, they will do well, with any decent amount. The main thing is plenty of water without drowning it and as much sun as possible.

I have mine on the west side of my house, so most of the time it not getting full sun until near mid-day. The grew great!

For drainage purposes I'd figure a bunch (couple dozen) of 3/8 - 1/2 inch holes would work. If you go with the drums they'll be pretty heavy. I think a cubic foot of soil is like 63 pounds so to help drainage you might use those 'packing peanuts' instead of gravel to lighten the load.

For drainage purposes I'd figure a bunch (couple dozen) of 3/8 - 1/2 inch holes would work. If you go with the drums they'll be pretty heavy. I think a cubic foot of soil is like 63 pounds so to help drainage you might use those 'packing peanuts' instead of gravel to lighten the load.

with the packing peanuts they wont just compress under the dirt and possibly stop drainage? im probably going to need a hole crap load too huh?

I'm sure they'll compress some but at least they'll take up space and provide better pore space for drainage. It was just a random thought that popped into the noggin after considering the weight of the drum.

I think you can get some black stuff from a gardening area at your favorite store. Line the inside of the barrel with that. It should hold the soil and allow for drainage.

I think you can get some black stuff from a gardening area at your favorite store. Line the inside of the barrel with that. It should hold the soil and allow for drainage.

cool. any idea what said "stuff"is called? just saw i know what to ask/look for.

Back