applejack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jod1090

Reaction score
its my first time makeing a hard apple cider, i was wondering if anyone has any good tips for brewing a cider so i can get a good batch.

and also ive been reading alot about apple jack and how its just a distilled form of hard apple cider, i understand its illegal but isnt it just if you sell it??

I'm no lawyer but from what I understand about distillation, it us illegal for safety concerns and not the finished product itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I think most Apple jack uses the freeze distillation method where you scoop the ice off of an already freezing batch rather than heating it to boil off the alcohol. The distillation tank can produce bad alcohol variants like methanol if not done with the right equipment and procedure.

I do not think producing Apple jack using freeze method is illegal but again, I'm no expert.

That said, selling anything alcoholic at all is illegal without an atf license (us brewing). You're allowed to make wine beer cider for your own consumption up to a limit, but its some asanine number that you'd have to drink all day every day to hit it.

this topic, including the legality or otherwise of freeze concentrating, and various techniques, has been beaten to death multiple times on this site, search the forum for applejack threads

i do agree about the freeze distiling, also i didnt know i could search, i just got this forum on my phone still learning how to use it. thanks man

Back